Upping Hardness

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Does it lower ph at high ph levels? As per chart towards bottom of link. Kind of confused here. :hide:

I'm guessing the HC03(-) goes to ---> H(+) + C03(--) but don't really understand why if you wouldn't mind explaining? Or any links (need to be simple though as haven't done chemistry in a very long time). Any help here much appreciated.

Carbon Dioxide and Carbonic Acid

Ask and you shall receive!

It's all because of these equation from that site:

H2CO3 (aq) <-> H+ (aq) + HCO3- (aq)

Equilibrium expression:

Image2.gif

turns into:

Image4.gif

Because H2CO3 (carbonic acid) rapidly decomposes into CO2 and H2O at room temp and pressure...

And this principle: Le Chatelier's Principle.

If I suddenly add a bunch of bicarbonate (HCO3-), then the system must 'adjust' to make that equation true (ie, Q > K). It does this by reacting with a hydrogen atom, consuming it to make CO2 and H2O, and thus making the system more basic. So there is in the end less HCO3- and less H+, more CO2 is made, and nobody cares about water. The equation is then balanced again (Q = K).

The reaction in the other direction:

HCO3- (aq) <-> H+ (aq) + CO32- (aq)

doesn't happen much at pH below about 8 because CO3-- is a much stronger base than HCO3-, and as such will not yield it's proton until the entire solution is much more basic.

BIG FAT EDIT: I see your question. I misspoke and will edit my post as such. It increase pH, decreases acidity. You are correct. But I made this big post and deleting it would make me sad.

Equilibrium expression:

Image2.gif

turns into:

Image4.gif

Because H2CO3 (carbonic acid) rapidly decomposes into CO2 and H2O at room temp and pressure...

If I suddenly add a bunch of bicarbonate (HCO3-), then the system must 'adjust' to make that equation true (ie, Q > K). It does this by reacting with a hydrogen atom, consuming it to make CO2 and H2O, and thus making the system more basic. So there is in the end less HCO3- and less H+, more CO2 is made, and nobody cares about water. The equation is then balanced again (Q = K).

doesn't happen much at pH below about 8 because CO3-- is a much stronger base than HCO3-, and as such will not yield it's proton until the entire solution is much more basic.

BIG FAT EDIT: I see your question. I misspoke and will edit my post as such. It increase pH, decreases acidity. You are correct. But I made this big post and deleting it would make me sad.

It's a very impressive post, even if it didn't answer the question!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Equilibrium expression:

Image2.gif

turns into:

Image4.gif

Hi, many many thanks for this. Helps a lot. Will re-read again but this adds to the picture. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom