Upping Hardness

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ericwithac

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey All!

Just looking to boost my KH a bit. Ive read some different threads and articles online, but would like everyones opinion! What do you use to boost KH? Im at 3 right now. Id like to get up near 6 or 7.

Thanks!

You're good..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

There's really not that many reasons to want to up your KH once you get to 3 or 4. Any particular reason you're wanting to mess with it?

In general, using baking soda (NaHCO3) adds carbonates but will lower your pH somewhat. There are dosing instructions available online if you want to look it up (I don't know them off the top of my head). Alternatively you can put something like crushed coral in your filter which will leech bicarbonates.

Low KH

Hey All!

Just looking to boost my KH a bit. Ive read some different threads and articles online, but would like everyones opinion! What do you use to boost KH? Im at 3 right now. Id like to get up near 6 or 7.

Thanks!
Hey Cap'n.....Is your pH low? Does it fluctuate? Are you using RO system? Dunno. There's way too many opinions. Must look at manual. I'm looking to decrease my GH - in the last 10 days it's gone from 70 to 150 ppm. 3 water changes since then. Still high on the GH, KH perfect as recommended. Am I overwrought?

Oh yeah.

There's really not that many reasons to want to up your KH once you get to 3 or 4. Any particular reason you're wanting to mess with it?

In general, using baking soda (NaHCO3) adds carbonates but will lower your pH somewhat. There are dosing instructions available online if you want to look it up (I don't know them off the top of my head). Alternatively you can put something like crushed coral in your filter which will leech bicarbonates.

Does it lower ph at high ph levels? As per chart towards bottom of link. Kind of confused here. :hide:

I'm guessing the HC03(-) goes to ---> H(+) + C03(--) but don't really understand why if you wouldn't mind explaining? Or any links (need to be simple though as haven't done chemistry in a very long time). Any help here much appreciated.

Carbon Dioxide and Carbonic Acid

Last edited:
My ph is steady at 6.6. I want to up my hardness so I can put fish requiring higher kh in my tank

In Soviet Russia iPhone You!!

What type fish? Most will do pretty pretty good in your parameters. Cichlids are another story but you wouldn't be after them??

I have 6 dwarf gouramis. Most fish im interested in require 8 or even 10 plus. Badis Badis is a fish id really like, or blue rams...

Dgs will be fine with no mods, may kill each other though. Badis are probably not the best choice, they're a finicky nano fish that require a well matured tank. Rams prefer mature tanks as well, soft water with a lower ph, you're well set up for the rams as is. Where are you finding your info on fish??

Dgs will be fine with no mods, may kill each other though. Badis are probably not the best choice, they're a finicky nano fish that require a well matured tank. Rams prefer mature tanks as well, soft water with a lower ph, you're well set up for the rams as is. Where are you finding your info on fish??

Liveaquaria mostly. They have the largest selection/most info I can find.

Why do you thing the dgs will kill each other lol. Theyre a pretty peaceful fish

I've read that they should.only be kept in m/f pairs but females are.pretty rare so... may work out with a large number of males and no females present though.. liveaquaria gives very broad parameters, not always gospel..

I've read that they should.only be kept in m/f pairs but females are.pretty rare so... may work out with a large number of males and no females present though.. liveaquaria gives very broad parameters, not always gospel..

10/4 I was trying to find an article regarding sexing DGs. I have 3 golds and they really seem to enjoy chasing each other around, but i have been meticulous about checking for signs of fighting/damage but haven't seen anything. I think they are just enjoying themselves.
'
My 3 Cobalts are really chill. They are great together. Any advice on a thread regarding sexing DGs?

Thanks!

Upping kh/lowering gh

Very interesting results this morning as I did the 6-1 test strip on my tap water. The GH was somewhere between 75 +/-, and the KH was 80. I just tested my aquarium (did a 30% water change yesterday) & results are GH close to 150, KH around 40 +/-......I think more water changes are in order to introduce softer water into my tank. Gotta read up on this subject. Never paid much attention to water hardness, just Nitrates and pH.

:idea:

Gin

First off, I'd suggest going out and buying a liquid based test kit, like the API Freshwater Master Test Kit. Alternatively you could buy individual test kits. The dip-strips are rather inaccurate and I'd not rely on them as a basis for adjusting water parameters.

API test kit

First off, I'd suggest going out and buying a liquid based test kit, like the API Freshwater Master Test Kit. Alternatively you could buy individual test kits. The dip-strips are rather inaccurate and I'd not rely on them as a basis for adjusting water parameters.[/QUOTE

So sorry but this test kit doesn't do water hardness testing. Big bummer, considering cost. The Tetra test strips do & that's how I keep track of GH & KH.

Here's a thought- what about adding distiller water - or distilled water changes? Suggested in Complete Encyclopedia of the FW Aquarium, by John Dawes. What u say to that hairbrained idea? Gin (80 proof)

Back
Top Bottom