UPS Battery Backup for Ecotech Powerheads

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ted

Aquarium Advice Regular
Can I use a computer UPS battery backup for Vortech powerhead such as Cyberpower for computers? I think the powerheads are DC?

You should be able to plug your low voltage transformer into a standard UPS, that should be fine. I have all my "critical" loads on computer type UPSes since I have these in abundance.

If you want to get fancy, read DIY, here are a few other suggestions:

Depending on the voltage needed, a CCTV camera power supply can be used for lighting in many cases (usually available in 12v or 24v DC) - many of these have the option to add a battery backup internally within the PS (12V7AH type battery like used in alarm systems). These power supplies are usually sold to power cameras in multiples of 4 (4 channel, 8 channel, 16 channel) in varying amperages (1amp, 2.5amp, 5amp) so you can power more than one device. I have used these transformers (power supplies) for low voltage LED lighting in stereo cabinets, under kitchen cabinets and counters, etc. I can't see why not fish tank lighting if already low voltage.

If you want to use a transformer with a timer, look at Intermatic (Malibu) lighting timers for low voltage landscape lighting.

Hope this helps :popcorn:

Back
Top Bottom