Urgent!!!! Could I put outside rocks in my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rockyofhockey

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello all
I have a 40 gallon tank and I have nice flat rocks from outside. From what I've heard as long as I boil them it will be ok. Could I do this?

I put rocks from outside in my tank all the time. Make sure they are not calcium based (like limestone) or they will increase your water hardness. Most rocks are ok though. Just scrub them good to get off any detritus and sanitize them (boil, bleach, vinegar, whatever!)

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392155217.648466.jpg these r the rocks. Do u think they should be ok? An thx for the response

Local Rocks in FW Tanks

Hello all
I have a 40 gallon tank and I have nice flat rocks from outside. From what I've heard as long as I boil them it will be ok. Could I do this?

Hello rock...

Put a few drops of common vinegar on the rock. If there's a reaction of any sort, don't use it. If there's none, rinse the rock in a little warm tap water and it's tank ready. There's nothing complicated about the process.

B

Ah, yeah. The vinegar will tell you if it's calcium based. Limestone fizzles a lot ('cause it's mostly calcium carbonate):)

Just did it kne nothing happened at all the other 2 look like it sunk in the rock and the last one I heard a crackling but no bubbles so what do u think

Well if it was me, I'd go find a different rock like the ones that did nothing. Just to be safe.

Well I think I might go with them if I bleach then because nothing really happened and it took me a good hour to find them because my whole back yard is covered in snow I'm in nj and nother 10+ storm is hitting

Please don't boil rocks! It may not happen often, but there can be air trapped inside rocks and when they're boiled it heats it up creating pressure which causes the rocks to explode, which could be very dangerous.

It's hard to tell from the pics. Do they have any shiny spots in them? I would be worried about possible metals in them. Also, are you sure you picked them from an area that didn't get any pesticides?

Back
Top Bottom