***urgent*** guppies fins disintegrating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lauraac

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So my female guppies fins have seemed to disintegrate overnight. I left last night around 10pm and came home today at 4 and my female guppies fins are white and like falling off. I have no idea what could have caused this or what this is. I’m new with fish so any advice is greatly appreciated. I’ll attach an image below. I did a water change as soon as I saw this... she’s also hanging out at the top of the tank but showing some activity but won’t eat anything.

Tank parameters:

Cycled tank, 10 gal, 2 small guppies, temp is 74c, ammonia 0, pH 7, hardness 8, nitrite 0 nitrate 0

Thank you very much, I hope I can save her.

Attachments

• 558E7449-C2B4-4FB4-BD53-BE2FFF120DF7.jpg
    558E7449-C2B4-4FB4-BD53-BE2FFF120DF7.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 49
  • 6A247A5B-8AF5-4083-B89E-0ED14C899D87.jpg
    6A247A5B-8AF5-4083-B89E-0ED14C899D87.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 47
You should be seeing some nitrates between 5-20 usually. It sounds like your tank isn't cycled or your test wasn't accurate. Usually fin rot takes more time to take off a fin like that and you would have noticed it sooner.
Is it just the one guppy that has her fins off? Are both your guppies female? The other guppy might be bullying her and nipping her fins off. Does she have places to hide?

You should be seeing some nitrates between 5-20 usually. It sounds like your tank isn't cycled or your test wasn't accurate. Usually fin rot takes more time to take off a fin like that and you would have noticed it sooner.
Is it just the one guppy that has her fins off? Are both your guppies female? The other guppy might be bullying her and nipping her fins off. Does she have places to hide?

I’ll do another test strip and see- I did cycle my tank for 6 weeks but it may be out of wack- my other guppy is a male and he is perfectly fine, no unusual behaviour. I haven’t seen any nipping going on, he usually leaves her alone just likes to be beside her but doesn’t bother her. and I have lots of hiding places, I have some of those little fake log and rock caves and a few plants she likes to hide in. And yeah I have never seen anything like this on a fish happen so rapidly... I’m not sure how to approach treatment

Guppies should be kept in either single gender tanks or the females need to outnumber the males. He will pick on her to death. Try separating them for a bit. You can use a divider or a separate tank you can also try adding more females. Keep up with the water changes, she should heal up just fine.

Guppies should be kept in either single gender tanks or the females need to outnumber the males. He will pick on her to death. Try separating them for a bit. You can use a divider or a separate tank you can also try adding more females. Keep up with the water changes, she should heal up just fine.

Thank you for the advice! I will separate her and hope for the best, then definitely introduce another female guppy when she heals (praying :( )

You're welcome. Good luck. Just watch for baby fish in the future. Guppies are livebearers and I dont think they eat their young like others do.

Better photo

My poor girl... I have separated her in a large breeder box until I can get a divider. I’ll put a tube in there so she can hide. Her fins are in such bad shape ):

Attachments

• 4F2D76CD-FEF2-4BEF-9C04-5CFB655D9B22.jpg
    4F2D76CD-FEF2-4BEF-9C04-5CFB655D9B22.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 59

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom