Urgent need help with my Albino Oscar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SMOOOZZZ

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I noticed that my fishs tail was breaking off so I looked on line and saw that he had tail rot I immediately did a 40% water change in my 29 gallon tank I have 3 other fish his size (4 inches long), I decided to go to the fish store and the owner told me to use Mardel I took out the carbon so medicine would circulate into the tank. He looks worse, his skin is fluffing off, and he's laying in the bottom of the tank, he still comes up to eat but that's the most he will do. I'm afraid to do another water change since I am giving him medication and doing a water change will stress him out more. But if I don't do something I think he is dying. I need to give him 1 more treatment tomorrow moring, last treatment was yesterday morning. I'm in the process of cycling a 55 gallon tank so that is not ready.

Oh one other thing I checked water levels about 7 days ago, Ammonia, Nitriate they were at zero...it was Thursday when I noticed my Albino Oscar was sick, that's when I did my last water change.

I noticed that my fishs tail was breaking off so I looked on line and saw that he had tail rot I immediately did a 40% water change in my 29 gallon tank I have 3 other fish his size (4 inches long), I decided to go to the fish store and the owner told me to use Mardel I took out the carbon so medicine would circulate into the tank. He looks worse, his skin is fluffing off, and he's laying in the bottom of the tank, he still comes up to eat but that's the most he will do. I'm afraid to do another water change since I am giving him medication and doing a water change will stress him out more. But if I don't do something I think he is dying. I need to give him 1 more treatment tomorrow moring, last treatment was yesterday morning. I'm in the process of cycling a 55 gallon tank so that is not ready.

Oh one other thing I checked water levels about 7 days ago, Ammonia, Nitriate they were at zero...it was Thursday when I noticed my Albino Oscar was sick, that's when I did my last water change.
Put him in the 55 gallon before he dies. Fin rot is a sign of poor water quality. A 29 gallon is no where close to enough for him alone. They create too much bio load for such a small tank.

If I had a 55 gallon already cycled I would do that. I just got the 55 gallon tank with filteration and it's only a few days into the cycle it has another 5 weeks to go. I appreciate your comments any other options?

Oscar's health can decrease quickly, maybe take a reading on your 55 gallon tank and see where it is at.

Otherwise, you need to clean out your current tank until all of your readings are correct. Medicate at the bottle indicates and just watch ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. But either way, if the Oscar gets better, he will become stressed again, being in that small tank, and will most likely become sick again. IMO

If I had a 55 gallon already cycled I would do that. I just got the 55 gallon tank with filteration and it's only a few days into the cycle it has another 5 weeks to go. I appreciate your comments any other options?
Do a fish in cycle, unless you're ready to do 25percent water changes every day.

Ok I will do another cleaning tonight hopefully that won't stress him out more. But at this point I have no other choose, thank you guys I will keep you posted hopfully I will see progress tomorrow.

Ok I will do another cleaning tonight hopefully that won't stress him out more. But at this point I have no other choose, thank you guys I will keep you posted hopfully I will see progress tomorrow.
I suggest adding the use of additionnal products such as ammonia detox and other things to help control the waste.

If you took the filter out your fish are living in an uncycled aquarium anyway.

Putting the fish in the 55 would help with water toxicity.

Back
Top Bottom