URGENT!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

al

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
ok, 1 week ago my tang died. his body was shrinking in behind his head (brain dehydration i'm told). i took him out right away. anyways, now since then, 3 other fish have died and 2 more are going to die soon (clown/damsel). both the remaining clown and damsel are breathing heavy and have ich, but i don't think that ich is the main problem, i think it is only secondary. my levels are:

nitrate<10
ammonia -none
ph -8.3
kh -8
sal 1.021

i took water to the store and they tested it too. none of my corals or inverts are bothered by whatever disease that is going on in my tank, only the fish. i did 2 five gallon water changes, with no noticeable difference. what should i do?

Assuming you haven't done any treatment whatsoever, I would start QTing the sick fish before they die. Don't underestimate ich even if you think it's not the main issue.

Your NO3 and ammonia level would lead to think that also NO2 are low, but make sure to check that as well. Are you sure the oxygen level is fine?

Finally, depending on tank size, you might want to perform a more robust water change.

That was my $0.02. Now wait for the professionals ;)

al said:
ok, 1 week ago my tang died. his body was shrinking in behind his head (brain dehydration i'm told).
Whoever told you that, stop listening to them. It sounds more like malnutrition, HLLE or possibley an intestinal disease. What was the main diet for the tang?

3 other fish have died and 2 more are going to die soon (clown/damsel). both the remaining clown and damsel are breathing heavy and have ich, but i don't think that ich is the main problem, i think it is only secondary.
C. irritans is rarely secondary and can often infect the gills making it very difficult for the fish to breathe properly. If the fish are dieing quickly, it could also be velvet Amyloodinium ocellatum
Either way, the advice below is excellent and should be done ASAP

justin_tyme said:
Assuming you haven't done any treatment whatsoever, I would start QTing the sick fish before they die. Don't underestimate ich even if you think it's not the main issue.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom