Used Live Sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Natterjak

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm looking to buy some used live sand from someone, and was wondering what I need to do with it before introducing it into my FOWLR. I currently have about 2" of live sand already in the tank. For the stuff that I'm buying, do I need to cure it, or can I just put it directly into my tank? If I need to cure it, what would be the best way to go about curing 60 pounds of live sand?

Make sure you don't add more than 1/2" per week to your existing sand bed. I would put it ina couple o buckets and add a SW and a raw cocktail shrimp and let it cure for a week or two, then add 1/2" at a time until your satisfied with depth. Is the sand dry or is it wet, still alive? etc...

I'm not sure what the condition of the sand is yet - would I treat it differently if it's dry vs if it's just out of the water?

What's the reasoning for adding it only 1/2" at a time? (not a problem with me, just curious :)).

I would put it ina couple o buckets and add a SW and a raw cocktail shrimp and let it cure for a week or two,
wouldnt that defeat the purpose of LS.. IMO doing something like this would kill al the benificial creatures living in the Sand Bed.. However if the sand was previously used and dried out that definetly be suggested as everything is already dead... True LS should be wet and bagged just like fish are.. If so and if it came from established tank then IMO you should be able to put it directly in your tank...

James

It's from an established tank, and the guy selling it still has a few fish he's trying to sell, so my guess is that the sand is still currently in the tank/water.

If I put it in directly, do I still add it a little at a time, or all at once?

if its from an established tank you won't need to do the cycling.

The purpose of adding the sand a little at a time is to give the bacteria and critters already in your current sand a chance to move up without starving or suffocating. If the bacteria isn't given enough time to move (spread up really) then you'll lose it's denitrifying benefit and you could end up with an ammonia spike.

So, that said add a little at a time and you'll be good to go.

Okay, that makes sense, thanks. :) What should I do with the sand while it's waiting to be added to the tank? Should I keep it wet in bags, or keep it in buckets? I'm guessing some of it will be sitting around for a few days, so I don't want it to "die" or anything.

if it's going to be a day or two then I would put it in a bucket with tank water and a heater just to keep from killing off any critters in the tank from getting too cold. I would also recommend giving it a good stir once or twice a day if you don't have a small power head to use.

If it's going to be more than just a day or two, you should probably drop in a few pinches of fish food, just to give it something to nibble.

Back
Top Bottom