Used tank questions:

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kristilynn

Aquarium Advice Regular
I found an ad for a 110 gl tank, 2 new hob filters, lid,stand,light. What are things I should check for. It is set up in the ad. I am quite excited!! BUT... I have to convince the other half that this is a good idea...:banghead:

Fill it up half way in the garage, watch for a few hours check leaks, fill it up more (repeat), check the stand if its wood, make sure its not rotting and looks stable. After ~24hrs, if no leaks are present and no cracks or damage found. I would gently clean it w/ tap water and a rag, rinse, repeat (could use a LITTLE bit of bleach, but RINSE it REALLY GOOD afterwards). I would then move it to its final destination.

Equipment, check to make sure its all working, obviously you will know about the heater after you ran it for a little. (stuff is pretty cheap ~$40)

Filters I would probably replace the media w/ new. Clean the housing with tap water.
(Don't know how well that other person took care of the tank, and media) Best to just start fresh and new.

Oh and if this is at someone's place (craigslist), have them fill it up while you're there (nothing special, just put water in it) and check for leaks before you give them $$. Save yourself the hassle, and check the stand quality while there.

(y)

:thanks: Still have to talk to the other half. We have a small house...:blink: but Iam up for getting rid of the couch:lol:

My advice, wait, don't be tempted, if your room is too small it will not sit well........

All of my tanks are used and I haven't had any problems, other than an excess of unwanted plastic plants and decorations.

I am going to wait, We are still kinda in a mess from getting the house and moving in. Thanks for the advice Ricky 1.

Back
Top Bottom