Useless Cycle and Stress Coat... put them down the drain?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fprintf

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
When I was given my fish tank (free, by a neighbor who kept killing their fish) I inherited a few chemicals, two of which I find are regarded on AA as fairly useless... Cycle and Stress Coat.

What is the best way to use/dispose of these chemicals? Can I put them down the drain? Or should I use them in the tank for some, even minor, benefit?

My tank is still cycling with the nitrate levels supposedly quite high (off the chart according to my LFS), so I toyed with the idea of dumping some of the Cycle in there.

thoughts?

The stress coat will eliminte chlorine and chloramines so you might as well use it.
It adds aloe vera which is not needed but it wont hurt anything. Throw out the cycle. The best way to lower nitrates is to change water. Are there fish in the tank?

The cycle never did anthing to help me and if its not kept in the refrigerator, its no good anyway. But the stress coat can be used.

What are your other readings? What is your ammonia and nitrite reading, if any. High nitrates is usually a sign that you are done if not compeletly cycled.

Stress coat over time will cause a residue built up in your tank due to the aloe.

I personally would use them.

Although they don't do anything -
It wouldn't hurt to use it.

Cycle doesnt need to be kept in the fridge...biospira does...even though they aim to do the same thing...biospira contains live bacteria (thats why it needs to be in the fridge) and cycle contains the spores...so no need to be refrigerated...like bubble boy said...it wont hurt...the choice is yours...i havent read good things about the stress coat because of the aloe...

patagonia said:
Cycle doesnt need to be kept in the fridge...biospira does...even though they aim to do the same thing...biospira contains live bacteria (thats why it needs to be in the fridge) and cycle contains the spores...so no need to be refrigerated...like bubble boy said...it wont hurt...the choice is yours...i havent read good things about the stress coat because of the aloe...

On the bottle of cycle it says to refrigerate after opening... I used it when i first started my tank about 9 moths ago and i specifically remember reading that. I know that they are spores, but i think once the bottle is opened it needs refrigerationl... and is only good for a certain amount of time. I believe it says all of that on the bottle.

Cycle is basically useless when you cycle your tank because it will remain dormant until the spores sense there is enough ammonia in the tank for them to live. Without, they will sit, and sit...and sit. It's debateable whether it has any good effects AFTER your tank is already established. Personally, I use Stress Coat when I need to treat an infection or such, but agree with others that it isn't absolutely needed. It is a dechlorinator, so it might not be bad to have around in emergencies. I suppose Cycle might help if you have a sudden ammonia spike in your tank and need to bring in lots of bacteria to kick it down some, but otherwise thats about it. I'd keep them around just incase. Could never hurt.

Also, Cycle advertises that their product doesn't need to be refrigerated, but once the seal is opened, it only lasts for 6 months afterwards.

Devilishturtles said:
Also, Cycle advertises that their product doesn't need to be refrigerated, but once the seal is opened, it only lasts for 6 months afterwards.

But on the bottle it says to refrigerate after opening! I JUST read it when i went to the store a few mintues ago!

i hate wasting anything, so i'd say just put a couple drops of each in with each pwc. it won't make much difference, but it certainly won't hurt.

Ashley...im sorry i didnt express myself properly...what i meant to say is that when you go to buy Cycle from the store you wont find it in the refrigerated items isle...but on the shelf...not like Biospira which needs to be refrigerated at all times even when shipped...and you are right...Cycle does say refrigerate after opening... :D

years ago.. I used to use stresscoat for a declorinatior..
cycle only helps cycle the tank.. its not like bio-speria that cycles the tank for you.. It isnt the easiest chemical to use and doent usually help most people using it, extreamly high NO2 can kill off some of your bacteria, using cycle requires the close monitoring that a fish in cycle requires, it's just suppose to speed up the process if levels dont get too out of wack. Ive never heard of Cycle working on a fisless cycle, the consept would be the same but alot of people dont watch the fishless cycle as closely.
If your NO2 is high.. just do your water changes..
HTH

Even if you do refrigerate Cycle, you are barely extending it's shelf life. It can sit out though(with no refrigeration), with no ill effects for 6 months or so. Want to increase it's viability by another month or a little more? Pop it in the fridge. They both do pretty much the same thing. It'll still die, regardless, after it's opened.

Cycle does work. It does exactly what it claims. No more no less. The problem is most try to use it for purposes other than those that the product is meant to be used for. The last time I used it help "aid" in the cycle process my tank was cycled, with fish, in 15 days. I did not do a single water change during this time, 0.25 was they highest reading I ever got with ammonia. I had a huge :wink: nitrite spike of 0.5 but that was gone in two days. After day fifteen I started adding fish and would dose a couple days in advanced with residual cycle from the bottle. Reading stayed dead on the entrie time.

I'm thinking that maybe this thread has gotten a little off-topic. The member wanted to know if it was safe to toss the products down the drain or if he should continue to use them. Let's keep it on topic. A discussion on the merits of these products can best be served by starting another thread.

When I was given my fish tank (free, by a neighbor who kept killing their fish) I inherited a few chemicals, two of which I find are regarded on AA as fairly useless... Cycle and Stress Coat.

See above respone.

What is the best way to use/dispose of these chemicals? Can I put them down the drain? Or should I use them in the tank for some, even minor, benefit?

Dump them down the sink if expiration has passed. If it hasn't expired use it.

My tank is still cycling with the nitrate levels supposedly quite high (off the chart according to my LFS), so I toyed with the idea of dumping some of the Cycle in there.

Do some water changes and get it lower and then hit it with the cycle. It won't hurt the tank any.

Thanks all. My bottle of Cycle also says to refrigerate after opening so at this point I am assuming it is definitely junk. I am sure the bottle is over 6 months old as well.

I'll keep the stress coat as well. Thx!

Back
Top Bottom