Using a powerhead with an undergravel filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scarlet knight

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am setting up a 29 gallon aquarium with a perfecto undergravel filter. I am going to be using a power head on the one outlet tube, my question is- do I cap the other outlet tube, or do I set it up with a airstone and air pump? I've never used a power head with an undergravel filter before.

I would cap it if it were me. Or run another power head.

Capping it allows the suction from the pump to really get the flow going down through the gravel and the undergravel filter. If you leave the other one open, path of least resistance would just be in one tube and out the other.

+1 for neilanh...

I ran a power head in a 29 for years, until I finally upgraded to a larger tank. A suggestion...if the undergravel plate has more than 2 openings (mine had 4), put the tube and power head on a hole that is not to the extreme left or right. In other words, if there are 4 holes, number them 1-4 from one side (or the other) and use either 2 or 3...not 1 or 4. That way, the pull from the power head will be more evenly distributed. If you are running 2 power heads, then use whatever holes work best with your landscaping...that much "suckage" will do the job regardless of where you put them.

Another thought, when you put the caps in place, make SURE they will stay attached. I put a small dab of tank-safe silicone sealer on the inner edge of each of mine before popping the cap on and letting it cure for a few days. Not enough to be permanent. I wanted to be able to pull them off someday, if I had too, but enough to be sure that a foraging fish could not knock one out of position.

Many years ago, I had a cap come off during a gravel cleaning. The powerhead was off, and I just happened to be looking right at the opening when a small cory went zipping down the hole! One blink and I would have missed it! Something similar could happen if a cap ever comes loose while the powerhead is on...except in that situation the fish might not survive.

Back
Top Bottom