Using bio balls

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jnalbach

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi
I have 180 gallon tank with a wet dry filter for a freshwater tank. I need to purchase bio balls but I saw that were different options out there. The one site suggested you use carbon filled bio balls, then foam filled, then ceramic filled. Is this setup much better than just the plain old solid plastic.

thanks

I asked the same question, everybody told me to use pot scrubbers... i got some, then got made at my hob overflow and took it off. The pot scrubbers are super cheap, i got them 3 for a dollar at walmart...

never heard of carbon filled bio balls. carbon only lasts a week or two before its no longer active. bio balls is a bio media that should be left not removed.

pot scrubbers are cheaper and have more surface area then bio balls.

Buying a carbon filled one would certainly be a wast of money.
The carbon is only good for a month or so and after that it's no good as a bio-medium and can cause nitrate trouble if you leave the carbon in there.
I read a while back where some fella used those little plastic army soldiers and they were just fine. Surface area is what you need, hence the pot scrubbers.

Sorry I am pretty new to this...what is a pot scrubber. is it literally the thing you use to clean your pots.

Geez Gamer! Beat me to it!
lol too slow lol
Sorry I am pretty new to this...what is a pot scrubber. is it literally the thing you use to clean your pots.
yes.

istockphoto_5312669-nylon-pot-scrubbers-various-colors.jpg

interesting...so I should use the carbon filter pad on top and either solid bio balls or pot scrubbers. What would the ceramic filled ones be for?

you can though i dont in any of my tanks. for the most part only used when removing meds. the ceramic is just another type of bio media. with the pot scrubbers they are cheap and light in weight.

Ceramics have more surface area than the plastic, but they are pricey. It is really only worthwhile if you have limited space (like in a canister). Otherwise, stick with plain old plastic (or pot scrubber).

Most people don't find carbon useful unless you are trying to pull out meds or tannins, etc. You might want to add a layer of polyester filter fluff to catch the small bits (or a foam prefilter) so those don't get pulled back into the main tank. <Works better than the foam filled.>

I use lava rock for my 225 gal tank in my home made HOB. Works great and is really cheap. Just rinse real well before using....

Back
Top Bottom