Using Hot Tap Water for a PWC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jamlo

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi All.

Would it be deemed safe for my fish if I mixed hot tap water and cold tap water together when doing a pwc so I don't get a drop in tank temp?

I'm running a 25g cold water tank with 2!fancy goldfish in it.

I could leave a bucket out over night to get to room temp but then I could only do small water changes at a time.

Ps, I am using a combi boiler so I don't have a hot water tank.

Thanks.

Hi All.

Would it be deemed safe for my fish if I mixed hot tap water and cold tap water together when doing a pwc so I don't get a drop in tank temp?

I'm running a 25g cold water tank with 2!fancy goldfish in it.

I could leave a bucket out over night to get to room temp but then I could only do small water changes at a time.

Ps, I am using a combi boiler so I don't have a hot water tank.

Thanks.

I can't see where that is a problem. I do that all the time. I have a community tank, and I try to use lukewarm water to avoid dropping the temperature.

I do the same thing, and I have a water heater.

From time to time, I see posts on message boards about how it could be dangerous for the fish. No details, just speculation. And speculation is all it could be, because we do not all have the same method of heating water, nor the same water supply.

To people who get freaked out about it, I usually suggest they get their hot water tested if they are truly concerned. IMO, we've all got a whole lot more to be concerned about than what might, kinda, sorta COULD be wrong with the water in our hot water tanks.

That's what I do..never had a problem. Well, I use lukewarm water.

I use temp matched tap water. I run the water into a small plastic container, put a thermometer into it then adjust my taps till the therm says its the right temp.

Thanks for the info guys. Thought it would be ok but wanted to double check first.

Wait so I'm a little confused about this question...are there people out there who say it's not safe to use water from a water heater in an aquarium or something?

Wait so I'm a little confused about this question...are there people out there who say it's not safe to use water from a water heater in an aquarium or something?

Yeah, the theory is that minerals build up in hot water heaters and this could have an effect on water quality. I use the hot water from my tap every water change, as my cold tap is really cold. I haven't had any issues with it.

What Alyxx says...

And the thing that gets me, is that the people who are so concerned about this, and sound the alarm have never had their water tested to see if there is cause for concern.

They just make a post on a forum telling everyone they shouldn't be mixing hot water in with the cold because water from the heater is bad for the fish. Someone like jamlo reads that and wonders if they are doing something wrong.

Even if that one person's hot water tank was dangerous, that doesn't mean yours or mine is.

And the hypothesis also presumes we are all using the same water.

Oh wow, I've always mixed warm water with cold water to match the temps in my tank. I've never even heard about that haha

When I first got my tank I used to boil the kettle to bring the temperature up (bonkers!). It took me a couple of months to realise that (duh) I have a hot tap too! I see no issue, water is good and fish are happy. (And so am I now that I'm not boiling the kettle all the time! Ha ha!)

When I first got my tank I used to boil the kettle to bring the temperature up (bonkers!). It took me a couple of months to realise that (duh) I have a hot tap too! I see no issue, water is good and fish are happy. (And so am I now that I'm not boiling the kettle all the time! Ha ha!)

Lol. I'm glad I hadn't heard that rumour when I first started or I would have been boiling water too.

Back
Top Bottom