Using Peat to Lower pH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ShanerBock88

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a couple baby Tiger Shovelnose Catfish, about 6 inches, and their tank pH was a little high, at about 7.8. It was steady there, but I've done a ton of research and these fish are ok in a pH up to 7.8, but do much better at 6.8-7. I didn't feel comfortable with them living with the pH at their extreme limit, so I purchased some peat pellets and put them in the filter.

It worked quicker than I expected; 12 hours later the pH had dropped to 7.2. Now, I know that pH fluctuations can be very harmful to all fish. What I can't find information on is how much of a fluctuation is too much. Can anyone answer this?

Also, I removed the peat from the filter, to avoid an even more drastic change. Is this the right approach or should I have left the peat in there? Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Imo anything over a .2 fluctuation in Ph is too much. I would leave the peat moss out for now and let the tank regulate itself back to the mean of 7.8 (having a consistent ph is generally better for the fish).

Once the ph normalizes I would re-introduce the peat, it will help to slowly lower the ph a bit if you're still concerned about it. Again, a more stable chemistry will always be more beneficial in the long run, the fish will acclimate and be just fine at a ph of 7.8.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom