using real ocean sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thefishguy

Aquarium Advice Regular
is it all right to use real sand. My grandpa said he would get me a 5gal of sand from Sarasota. Their sand is really fine almost like flour. It would be sand taken from the water like fifteen feet out. Is this okay to use. Aquariums try to mimic the ocean so I don't see what the problem is.

I will leave it to someone in FL to comment on what the local laws are for this but I know FL is fairly strict as to what you can remove from the ocean. If it is leagal its good to get it from as far off shore as you can so as to limit the chance and amount of contaminants from the shore.

Is it bad to take dry sand off the beach from northern states, I'm sure I would have to rince it alot but I'm not looking for live sand??

I use filtered natural seawater thats available for free at the marine bio center on the beach and the only real complaint that I have is that you have to do almost daily water changes to reduce the alge growth. But like fishfreak said, the farther away you can get the better. I used to live in pensacola so I know how sugar fine the sand is but you might want to also think about the fish stirring it up!

ALL my sand came from the beach. I have had no problems.

I went out to a sand bar, pretty far out, and took all my sand. About three 5 gallon buckets worth. I wish I had rinsed it with saltwater before I put it in, but I havent had any problems with it. It is a great way to cycle your tank!

Back
Top Bottom