Using seeded media

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Travis32

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello everyone! Some of you know that I have been having troubles cycling, and I have finally tracked down some seeded media that I am going to use to hopefully get my cycle in order. My question is how do I go about using the seeded media? I was able to talk my aquatic store into letting me purchase a sponge that is fully established. It was a challenge as they wanted to sell me tons of products to help with cycling, so they could make more money! lol. Anyway, it is a sponge, just like the one at Biologically Active Sponge Filters for Aquarium. However, I have 2 HOB filters (Marineland Penguin 350 and Emperor 400). How would I use the sponge to make it the most effective? BTW, I don't have it yet, as I know it needs to be used ASAP to keep it active. Thanks everyone

Try to put the seeded media in the first stage of filtration so that the bacteria is naturally migrated with the water flow into the rest of the filter media.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Ok thanks. Can the sponge be cut? Asking because since I have two filtration systems going (Penguin 350 and Emperor 400) I could put half in each filter system? Thanks

Sent from my SM-G360P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

^All good info above!^
Go get your media before they change their mind!
You are very close to being cycled once you install it!
You can add pieces of the media where ever you want but I think the advice ScotJudd gave makes good common sense IMO.

Well, I just bought the seeded sponge from my aquatic store and just brought it home, cut it in half, and put half into each of my Marineland HOB filters! So hopefully everything goes okay and my tank will cycle fairly quick

Sent from my SM-G360P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom