Using stability chemicals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jovan

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I haven't done a fishless cycle on my new tank that I set up a while ago and I want to put fish in this weekend... Can I use stability chemicals to just add the beneficial bacteria that I need the day I put the fish in?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yes but you'll still be doing a fish in cycle

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yes but you'll still be doing a fish in cycle

Oh... OK thanks! One more question... What do I put in the tank first? The fish or bacteria?

It's not bacteria..if you insist on getting fish soon than just get 1 hardy fish for every 10 gallons.. and if you insist on using a product try safe start

Your Tank

I haven't done a fishless cycle on my new tank that I set up a while ago and I want to put fish in this weekend... Can I use stability chemicals to just add the beneficial bacteria that I need the day I put the fish in?

Hello Jo...

Don't rely on chemicals to cycle your tank. You can definitely add hardy fish, 3 to 4 small fish for every 10 gallons of water. Just follow the standard steps for "fish in" tank cycling. Add some floating plants and let the tank run for a couple of days first, so the water settles a bit and then add the appropriate number of fish.

If you need the specifics for cycling a tank with fish, just ask someone here.

B

It's not bacteria..if you insist on getting fish soon than just get 1 hardy fish for every 10 gallons.. and if you insist on using a product try safe start

It is bacteria, however it's not really the same type as what you would find on your filter media. Stability is heterotrophic bacteria, the kind that is found on your substrate and in biofilm. It can nitrify, but it is extremely less efficient than the autotrophic bacteria, the stuff you try to grow during a cycle. The concept behind stability seems to be "add enough heterotrophic bacteria to get the job done until the more efficient nitrifiers can take over," which IMO isn't a very good philosophy to follow.

If you're going to do an instant cycle, I would recommend an angels plus seeded sponge filter or just good ol' seeded media from a pre-established tank. It contains the more efficient autotrophic bacteria, so you can get right to the point.

Fine.. it's not the "best" bacteria.. ok bud?? ;)

Back
Top Bottom