Uv light and skimmer for biocube 29

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Breezyrae

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys :) just wondering if I should invest in a protein skimmer and uv light for my biocube? Any and all info is welcome. Thanks :)

Personally I would pass on both. It's still up in the air as to whether a UV is needed and the skimmers for the bio cube arent that great. You can keep a great tank bu just doing weekly water changes instead. :) Thats how I do it with my biocube.

Awesome carey! Youre the bomb! Lol thankyou for always being so helpful! I am up in air with the skimmer tho, just to be on the up and up. This tank makes me nervous :(

There are some that will also fit in the cube I think, just not remembering which ones....the bio cube skimmer was dismal at best, I bought the skimmer to try it out and it stunk. LOL But maybe an aquaticlife or tunze will fit, they are better skimmers than the oceanic one.

Are you planning a reef tank or just fish? Do you have any issues that make you want a skimmer? How often/big are your water changes?

carey said:
There are some that will also fit in the cube I think, just not remembering which ones....the bio cube skimmer was dismal at best, I bought the skimmer to try it out and it stunk. LOL But maybe an aquaticlife or tunze will fit, they are better skimmers than the oceanic one.

Are you planning a reef tank or just fish? Do you have any issues that make you want a skimmer? How often/big are your water changes?

Im planning on getting some coral and whatever I think I can keep healthy and happy. No real issues just a beginning algae bloom(the brown diatom?), but my cuc cleans that everynight. I like to feed them, cuz im always worried about the jawfish has moved to the back corner, and im nervous that he doesnt get to eat. And I figure the extra food gets eaten by the cuc anyhow? My water changes are about 3-6 gallons every two weeks

Do your nitrates run high with that much feeding? I overfeed my cube cause of the fish I keep as well, the mandarin and scooter I need to keep fed.

Keep in mind anything you add to the tank is IN the tank until you take it out. If the cuc eats it then theres their bioload to consider. The food goes in the tank in one form and may take on another form but it's still in your tank.

I do 3g a week in my cube and tend to run nitrtaes at about 10 which is the highest any of my run. I also have a fuge in the back compartment and chemi pure elite running in media trays and I still have a small battle with hair algae. How long has the tank been up and running?

Ahhhh! Never thought of that! My tank has been up and running for a while now, without fish a couple of months, with fish since the 28th of october. My nitrates have been low. I too have the chemipure and purigen. I believe the setup mirrors yours. I followed the intank media baskets instructions of what to put in there. I did my last water change about a week and a half ago...now I am kinda wondering if I should do another small one. What are your thoughts on the powerheads?

I run a koralia 425 nano power head and all is well as far as circulation. :) Two would probably be overkill. Just a matter of getting a good angle with it.

Yeah I too have the Koralia nano 425 but I'm having a hard time getting a good place set. I have this dead spot that is driving me crazy !! 

carey said:

That would be the aquaticlife 115 and a tunze.:)

Both are skimmers:) I'll be getting the aquaticlife 115 for my biocube. It fits in the 1st chamber:D

Ohhhh haha!  yeah I googled tunze and it came up with the wavemaker and holy cow I don't have tunze wavemaker money!

Breezyrae said:
Ohhhh haha!  yeah I googled tunze and it came up with the wavemaker and holy cow I don't have tunze wavemaker money!

Aquaticlifes are good then?

Awesome lol yeah definetly will be looking to ordering one Friday  and it goes in the first chamber?

Back
Top Bottom