UV sterilizer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mustangman11224

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am thinking of getting a uv sterilizer for my 36 gal. Because of a new fish ick was introduced to
My ten gal and once my 36 gal cycles I will be putting them in there, but I'm afraid even though the ick is almost visibly completely gone it will somehow get into my 36 gal. Will this uv protect against ick? Will it kill good bacteria?
Thanks in advance
Dan

The beneficial bacteria is mostly colonized on surfaces; it especially likes dark oxygenated areas. There is always good bacteria in the water column, but not nearly enough to worry about; otherwise, you would get rid of it every time you did a water change. Your filter houses most of the BB.

A UV light will affect the ich parasite, but you have to capitalize on the light exposure. In other words, make sure the water flow rate is as low as possible when going through the UV housing.

David

I am thinking of getting a uv sterilizer for my 36 gal. Because of a new fish ick was introduced to
My ten gal and once my 36 gal cycles I will be putting them in there, but I'm afraid even though the ick is almost visibly completely gone it will somehow get into my 36 gal. Will this uv protect against ick? Will it kill good bacteria?
Thanks in advance
Dan

Don't waste your money on a UV sterilizer. Imo if a tank is properly maintained there is no logical need for one.

Ok well I'll just keep up with my water changes then... I thought that was quite A lot lol.

Well it's in

My ten gallon not 36.. And I turned the heat up in my 10 gal to 88 degrees, and I do 50% water changes daily... It's almost all the way off my pelco he's got 2 spots on him now. I think... My guppies and tetra will be happy when the temp goes back down.

Well it's in

My ten gallon not 36.. And I turned the heat up in my 10 gal to 88 degrees, and I do 50% water changes daily... It's almost all the way off my pelco he's got 2 spots on him now. I think... My guppies and tetra will be happy when the temp goes back down.

Leave at 88 for a week after the last spot disappears and its almost for sure that it won't be an issue in your new tank.

Don't waste your money on a UV sterilizer. Imo if a tank is properly maintained there is no logical need for one.

Have you ever owned one?

I properly maintain my tank and am religious about my maintenance routine, but I now have a UV sterilizer and I'm happy with what it does for my tank. It's not necessary but it does do a job and most do it well. And it won't kill the BB since a overwhelming amount of BB is in your filter or on surfaces and uv sterilizers only treat the water column. It can help prevent Ich and other diseases while they are in their free swimming stages and will help even clear water become very clear water. That's a logical use in my eyes

Have you ever owned one?

I properly maintain my tank and am religious about my maintenance routine, but I now have a UV sterilizer and I'm happy with what it does for my tank. It's not necessary but it does do a job and most do it well. And it won't kill the BB since a overwhelming amount of BB is in your filter or on surfaces and uv sterilizers only treat the water column. It can help prevent Ich and other diseases while they are in their free swimming stages and will help even clear water become very clear water. That's a logical use in my eyes

In a properly maintained aquarium if the fish are healthy a little free swimming ich should not be an issue. Same with other minute amounts of bacteria. Also if you don't have clear water there is most likely an issue that needs to be fixed filter, overstocking etc. I have never owned one but the few people I know who have many tanks have tried them and never bothered to purchase more. I myself prefer to purchase a second filter or co2 or fish or plants then a light bulb that kills bacteria that don't need to be killed.

IMO the only need for them is in green water tanks that are near windows.

What about the uv sterilisers that are built into canister filters? I've often wondered how my BB are getting into the matrix if the uv is able to kill them in the water before it gets to the matrix?

Wow lots of replys lol well I guess I won't get the uv sterilizer I'll get a second filter molliwopp suggested an eheim canister filter which I think I'll get as a secondary for my 36 gal. I'd rather put the 100$ towards a good filter instead of something I may not need right now I have a aqueon quiet flow 50 which filters up to a 50 gal tank but probably not that great of a filter so I want to get a pretty decent secondary.

Wow lots of replys lol well I guess I won't get the uv sterilizer I'll get a second filter molliwopp suggested an eheim canister filter which I think I'll get as a secondary for my 36 gal. I'd rather put the 100$ towards a good filter instead of something I may not need right now I have a aqueon quiet flow 50 which filters up to a 50 gal tank but probably not that great of a filter so I want to get a pretty decent secondary.

Just my two cents but I've seen multiple videos of eheim canisters that leak and empty tanks. I'd recommend a fluval 206.

That was the second one he suggested... So if both of you say that that one is a good one I'll get that one. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom