UV sterilizer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stevefromga2000

Aquarium Advice Freak
what is the benefit of a UV sterilizer exactly? does it only make the water clearer, or is there more benefits? also, if i did order a sterilizer, what else would i need to hook it up to my tank? would i need some tubing and a pump or something?

Yep. Tube in and tube out. The specs on any choice I believe will give you the size hose needed. Need a pump too. The unit should also give you info on gph needs. It's gonna be a slower rate.

I believe that will kill a lot of algae and pods and other stuff.

Uv lights are the debate of the ages. There are many that use them including myself. They are good for killing algea spores and parasites that get caught up in the light chamber. I love mine and use the turbo twist which gives more kill ratio. I believe they are a beneficial tool for your tank.

so i can get a powerhead, put the powerhead in the water, run a tube from the powerhead inside the tank to the sterilizer outside the tank, and then run a different tube from the outlet of the sterilizer back into the tank? do i just let the return tubing just hang in the tank, or get some suction cups to hold it in place or something?

If you get a HOB type you wont need the line that goes back into the tank. It will just flow like a waterfall back into the tank.

Has anyone used the before mentioned submersible all-in-one sterilizer. I am new to this hobby and am looking at this one for ease and convenience. Don't have room behind my tank for a HOB type sterilizer and don't know if I want to tackle trying to set up an in-line. I have a 100gallon FO tank, the manufacturer states that the unit is good for a 75 gallon, does anyone know if it will be sufficient in my size tank?

I am new to SW, but when i asked the same question about the UV, the responses were the same, same people like it, others are not sure. I figured that it can't hurt to try, i brought this one:

http://www.petsmart.com/global/prod...55&itemNo=2&Ntt=uv&In=All&previousText=uv&N=2

It works pretty good, and even though i am in the middle of my cycle, it keeps the water clean! i had no Algea outbreaks, as i seen many report during their cycles. I got the 9W one, for $30, its not bad!!! So i just gave it a try!

Leo

Yep, I saw that one as well, but it seems so impossibly inexpensive that I figured it must be lacking something. I might try the 24W one and see how it works. Does it have a power cord on it?

shifty99 said:
Yep, I saw that one as well, but it seems so impossibly inexpensive that I figured it must be lacking something. I might try the 24W one and see how it works. Does it have a power cord on it?

I thought the same thing, it was too cheap to be true. But i was surprised when i got the box. It comes with the light case, a small powerhead and a sponge filter, also it has another small box that hangs in the back of the tank to let you know if the light is one and if it's working.

I got the 9w because i have a 29gal with lots of natural filtration/skimmer/ and bio wheel. But you have to careful with the powerhead, if it's too fast it won't kill anything, if it's too slow it will warm up the water too much. Keep an eye on ur Temp when you get it

Leo

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom