Vacation or no vacation?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Celine

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello all,

I have a 14G biocube for more than a year. I love my tank. I REALLY take good care of tank. My husband said I obsess on my tank.

I'm really worry whenever I'm going on vacation. I just cannot enjoy my vacation without thinking abt the tank. Everything in my tank: lighting and powerhead are on timers.

I read many postings stated that the tank may goes wrong during vacation. I'm very nervous. I don't have any friend who have saltwater tank knowledge to be my tank sitter

Hope anyone can give my some advices to protect my tank.

Hello all,

I have a 14G biocube for more than a year. I love my tank. I REALLY take good care of tank. My husband said I obsess on my tank.

I'm really worry whenever I'm going on vacation. I just cannot enjoy my vacation without thinking abt the tank. Everything in my tank: lighting and powerhead are on timers.

I read many postings stated that the tank may goes wrong during vacation. I'm very nervous. I don't have any friend who have saltwater tank knowledge to be my tank sitter

Hope anyone can give my some advices to protect my tank.

My lfs has a home maintenance service. Maybe yours does too? It would be good to know an expert was checking on things once or twice a week.

I try not to worry about my tank because there is nothing I can do about it. I put the proper amount or flake/pellet food in one of those pill containers and have the dog sitter feed the fish. This way I don't worry about over feeding, and they just miss out on their frozen for a bit. I had one issue with evaporation, last long vacation and came home to my power heads sucking in tons of air. You could look into an auto top of unit if you don't have one, that is what I'm gonna do before my next longish vacation.

I move the powerheads down just a little so that they don't suck in air. I'm also thinking of having a pre-measured amount of RO/DI water in a container and telling my dog/fish/house-sitter to add it to the tank about 7 days in, up to "the line". No ATO yet, but coming soon...

Thank you so much for all the wonderful advices. Water top up is a main issue & also feeding.

I have a lot of target feed corals, will they survive without frozen food for 2 weeks?

How long can I stretch without changing water? Now I change water weekly.

Thanks

I move the powerheads down just a little so that they don't suck in air. I'm also thinking of having a pre-measured amount of RO/DI water in a container and telling my dog/fish/house-sitter to add it to the tank about 7 days in, up to "the line". No ATO yet, but coming soon...

If you waited 7 days then added a lot of RO, you could risk changing the salinity to quickly. Guess it depends on your tank size and how much is evaporating/ being added

Back
Top Bottom