Vacation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

raccioppi83

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am going to be going on a 2 1/2 week vacation. Can my tank be okay without anyone doing anything to it? No feeding, cleaning or water changes? Tank light is on a timer and all the fish are healthy.

i feel that with a good water change or two right before you leave you should get buy unless you are really overstocked, There are 10 day feeding blocks available. not sure about 2 1/2 weeks.

I don't use feeding blocks. I feel they do more harm than good.

Stocking: 7 Neon Tetra, 1 Peacock Gudgeon

Tank: 13G Aqueon widescreen

Fish can easily go a week without food.

I would take a small container, fill it with food, and i struct someone to poor it into the tank halfway through your vacation. Whatever you pit in the container should be a normal size meal. Don't add extras. Make sure that the person who dumps it in the tank doesn't add anything more.

They should be fine being fed 1 time in 2 weeks. But if you're nervous, leave out 2-3 containers and tell people to feed one container on a day, another container a few days later, and another a few days after that.

I wouldn't leave the fish a full 2 and 1/2 weeks without food.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

The only problem is that no one will be able to access the tank when I'm not there. They need my ID and a key to get in. Also, everyone will be going home for break. (I'm in college)

I may hope for the best and see if they can make it. They have already gone 1 week without food and have been perfectly fine.

If your worries about it their are plenty of DIY automated feeders on youtube. Or buy an actual auto-feeder.

I am not worried, I was just trying to get the general consensus if they would be okay or not

Petco has auto-feeders for $20.

I wouldn't be confident in 2.5 weeks of survival in aquarium fish. It might work though...

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Depending on the fish you have together, 2 1/2 weeks is a long time to leave the fish unfed and not expect some losses or fighting. Better to skip a water change than leave unfed for that amount of time. I second the auto feeder over the vacation blocks. (y) Just set it up to put a small amount of food in once every couple of days. This way, no excessive poo so ammonia & nitrates stay under control. (y)

I have unfortunately had bad experiences with vacation blocks. They always did more harm to my water than good.

I like the auto-feeders now as well. Mainly as in high flow tanks I find the feeder blocks disappear quickly or the fish just sit there having an all day feast.

If you do get one, set it up and test for a day beforehand could be worth trying.

I like the auto-feeders now as well. Mainly as in high flow tanks I find the feeder blocks disappear quickly or the fish just sit there having an all day feast.

If you do get one, set it up and test for a day beforehand could be worth trying.

Keep in mind that those feeding blocks act differently in different PH. Lower PH has the block melting faster than in high PH. In high PH, those blocks aren't really useful as they don't melt away and unless the fish know the food is in them, they will ignore them instead of chewing down on them until they hit food. :facepalm:

I am going to go to petsmart or petco today to see about an automated feeder. My problem is I have a hooded tank so I would have to leave the feed door open and have the feeder sit over that opening.. we shall see the best route to take.

Last time I used vacation blocks they ruined my water quality.

I decided to try a different brand of the vacation feeders

the Pro Balance 14 day feeder. Not sure anyone has any experience with this brand? Hesitant, but out of options atm

Back
Top Bottom