Vac'ing the substrate - stirs up too much junk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

callisto9

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I know you're supposed to vacuum the substrate, but when I do in my 6.6G tank, it makes a HUGE mess with the water. This tank was heavily planted, but I've moved everything (except the fauna) into my new 20G tank. I've been feeding less 'cause I was overfeeding, but sheesh, what GIVES? I do a 1 gallon water change each week.

It settles down in an hour or so, but why is this so messy? This can't be healthy for my tank.

I'm almost embarrassed to show this pic. :hide:

crud.JPG

It's just back up from the over feeding. I would suggest doing a few back to back changes, a few in a day or each day over a few, making sure to focus on getting the gravel extra good. Once you can do a change without your tank looking like this keep up with the same weekly routine and limited feeding.

My tank gets like this if my husband feeds the fish too often or I slack on a gravel vacuum. If my water goes like yours I will usually do another change the following day and it clears right up. I have a 20 gallon though and a good cleaning usually requires me to remove about 60% of the water so probably not an option with a 6 gallon. lol

I'll do a water change each day. Thank you for the advice. :)

The water is clear now that the crap has settled.

Back
Top Bottom