vacuuming fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elle2

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am about to use my gravel vac for the first time today and I am a little nervous.... I am assuming that it might just be possible to vacuum the fish? Does this happen or is it easy to avoid? I know... its probably a dumb question but I don't want to stick it in there and be surprised.

ime fish can swim strong enough to escape the vac. you might suck up some fry though if you had some.
HTH

It happens sometimes. If you accidentally get a fish, just pull the hose out of the tank to break the syphon and the fish wil fall back into the tank. It is really nothing to worry about.

It does happen, but if you keep the gravel vac in the gravel it won't happen often. I vacuum up fry all the time. Not a fun trip for them, but they are usually fine. If you see a fish in the vac, pinch the hose to slow the flow and it will swim out. Unless it's a guppy; they're dumb.

When I used a gravel vac, I just kept my thumb over the end of the hose nearest the bucket, and if I saw a fish in the vac, I would just plug the end with my thumb. That way I wouldn't loose the siphon. Then when the fish is out, I would take my thumb off the end of the hose and the siphon would continue. As for the python now, I just hold the hose so my thumb is on the lever to cut off the water flow, then when the fish is out, would open it back up.

Oh yes- I should have mentioned that this is with the python. That sounds easy enough. I figured it was a dumb question, but worth asking considering the possible outcome. Thanks.

PauloSilva said:
i have never vaccumed any fish and when they see the vac they RUN

Mine get extremely curious about my python, lol. They don't run, but want to see exactly what I'm doing in their home, lol.

I think I will hold off until tomorrow... I have a very sickly oto who seems to be on his way out and I don't want to do anything to stress him out on the off chance that he might make a recovery... though it doesn't look good :(

none of my fish RUN, they swim. ha.... ha.... ya not very funny I know, but no one else said anything. Mine too are curious and come right up against the tube and almost try to eat the debris inside the tube. the celebes rainbows follow me around the tank.

Back
Top Bottom