Velvet treatment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Trying to figure out the picture deal. Can't wait to show off my fish and some of my plants. Don't see black edges, just seems to have become more... transparent then he was and fins are not as gorgeous as they were. Will keep an eye on it, but if there is any fin/tail loss, you wouldn't give any medication? Just water? I've been doing PWC's every couple of days, test daily and slightest color change from zero levels of ammonia and nitrites mandate PWC's, so it's not that. About filter carbon... Well first day of treatment it didn't click in my head what that meant in the I structuring on med bottle. Then I got to thinking about it and started reading on Internet and then sliced open the cartridges spilled the carbon out and did the 3 days of med from that point on, so I think they have got it. The medicine I used is what my lfs "betta lady" recommended Mardel Quick Cure, on the bottle for ingredients it does not list copper (tho had snail in one of the affected tanks and took him out just in case, but the shrimp... Good luck catching them! It has Malachite green and Formalin are the ingredients of Quick Cure. I'm still seeing the "gold dust on couple of fish but they act normal so at this point I'll try the no lights strategy and just watch them for few days. See what happens. Hope I answered all of your questions, should have quoted, that way I would have been able to refer back to your post. Thank you so much for taking your time trying to help me

One more thing for Shellieca I forgot to address my lfs friend who has kept fish all his life told me that those little ghost shrimp have very little in terms of bio load and. He told me to put couple in each of my tiny tanks! have 2 filtered tiny mini BettaBows 1 gal each also with driftwood and live plants got rid of my planted bowls in favor of these bcs believe it or not there little things can also develop their own little tiny ecosystem once filter media and stuff gets populated. If anything they help me keep those tanks clean, hardly ever need to vacuum and have not seen ammonia go up since they've been added on. I've had my tiny tanks for couple of months now and they are very healthy so far. Darn! I'm just itching to show some pictures. And bfr anyone says anything the "tiny tanks" are temporary homes for my 2 rescue "death row inmates" red veiltail juvenile boy named Jihad-TheRed (kids gave him that name, goes well with his temperament:) gorgeous black crowntail named Ninja-Blacky till I get upgraded. Then those two will be kept going, one as hospital tank, the other one will become my aquatic plant nursery. I'll be getting more serious about plants, already have tons but will start experimenting a little more with them.

Sounds like you're keeping a good eye on things & all is good so keep doing what you're doing. I don't run filters on my smaller tanks but I know there are people who so successfully. As for the velvet, you're seeing improvement so it appears you have that under control, just keep an eye on everyone & hopefully things continue to improve. Posting pics is simple, not sure if you're on the mobile app or computer but I think they're essentially the same, its been a while since I've done it from a desktop. Anyways you should see a button that says "go advanced" under the reply box & then you'll see manage attachments if you scroll down or on the mobile "advanced", click on it & you should see the attach from camera or attach from photos.

Great! Thank you! I'm hardly ever on my pc! Always on the go and "steeling" minutes here and there" for research or to check the forum. Iphone 4 or my apple Mini is what helps me stay connected to the world. I'll figure out the pics and start showing off my "babies" soon. One more question, after completion of velvet treatment if water testing ok, would you do pwc? To get rid of some of the medicine. It didn't really discolor my tanks bcs it was only couple of drops I had to use (very concentrated) . I'll be putting in new filters today so what do you think? Pwc or no?

Thank you for this link, very good information. Seems that using salt is somewhat controversial. I hear comments from both spectrums the salt believers and nonsalt believers. How do you feel about using salt? I've got a box of it but been scared to put it in the tanks:) putting anything other then food and water in those tanks scares me. Silly, isn't it? Just don't want to hurt my little guys

I would do a water change to remove as much meds as possible then the carbon should remove what's left. As for salt, if you use it for treating something specific its fine but I don't use it all of the time. There are people who say long term use causes kidney problems in Bettas.

Back
Top Bottom