Venting angel fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mel88

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Can any one show me with pictures or describe what the male and female vents look like on angel fish please?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Can any one show me with pictures or describe what the male and female vents look like on angel fish please?

I'm not sure venting Angelfish is a practical means to sex them. IMO, You are better off waiting for the tubes to be exposed.
There are however, some external signs that may help you sex them pre spawning age. It has to do with the position of the anal fin in regards to the anus.
If you go to my bio page and look at my albums and go to "New Angels", there is a picture of a spawning pair of Silver Angels. In this picture, you will see the female on the bottom and the male above. You'll see the differences between their two breeding tubes as well as the location of the Anal fin. With females, their anal fin starts further back from the anus while a male's fin will start almost at the anus. While this is not a fool proof method with today's fish, it was remarkably accurate on the wild fish I used to breed back in the 1960s. With today's fish, so many traits that used to be gender specific have been interbred in the opposite sex. I' ve seen females with Head humps, Males that don't have the correct angle to their anal fin, Males that don;t have the head hump at all ( meanwhile the wild fish didn't have this head hump.) to name a few. But if you can find 2 fish with these characteristics, the odds go way up in your favor.
Another pretty accurate method is to just watch the fish. More often than not, when the fish are about 6-8 months old, you will see males usually guarding a smaller female from the rest of the Angels in the tank. Once you see this behavior for consecutive days, you can be pretty sure that you have a pair.

Feel free to contact me if you have any more questions and you can check out the thread " Wigglers at last!!!!" which is an ongoing thread by professionals and fellow hobbyists all about breeding Angelfish.

Hope this helps (y)

Great thanks! I will check them out. I've been told the only way to tell was when they are breeding or venting. I only have two angels that are about two years old and think they could be males. They were getting along and locking lips occasionally but now they are fighting a lot. Here is pictures of mine.

Attachments

• 1389753092350.jpg
    1389753092350.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 249
  • 1389753107249.jpg
    1389753107249.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 124
Great thanks! I will check them out. I've been told the only way to tell was when they are breeding or venting. I only have two angels that are about two years old and think they could be males. They were getting along and locking lips occasionally but now they are fighting a lot. Here is pictures of mine.

OK, using the "head hump" method, both these fish seem to have one so you could be correct that they are both males. There's another trick that many can't see: Males seem to have a small rounder bottom around their anus while a female tends to be more flat along her bottom. I see that round shape in both these fish so again, I believe they are males. If there are no other females in the tank and they are fighting a bit more that usual and it's getting more constant, you may need to separate them. This could be a space problem, meaning there isn't enough for them to be both happy. You can try rearranging the decor to make them both have to establish new territories. I'd try that before separating.

Nice looking fish (y)

Great thanks for your help. They have been doing a lot of what looks like a mating dance to one another as well lately and not fighting as much but swimming together. I love them they are beautiful!

Attachments

• 1391847371418.jpg
    1391847371418.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 241
This is a great profile pic to see the differences in the fish. Good job (y)

The Silver/ Zebra still has my vote for male and the Koi Veil looks.... let's put it this way, If it doesn't wake up in the morning with a rounder belly before you feed them, I'd be putting my money on it being another male. Lip locking is also a sign for dominance as Angels are a schooling fish with a Hierarchy. At 2 years with no spawns, I think that's what you are seeing, not pre spawning behavior. I guess only time will tell (y)

Back
Top Bottom