Very Depressed Platy--Please Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blang

Aquarium Advice Freak
Bubbles was "BMOC" in my 15 gallon tank with 3 other fish. Then I started adding fish and I guess he couldn't take the preasure. He started sulking and would only come out to eat. I then rearranged the plants and within a couple of days, he started coming out more and more.

A couple of days ago, he went into a total depression. My dwarf platy started harrassing him by swimming side by side, practically touching him, all day long. Bubbles finally broke down and curled himself into a corner.

I moved him into my 10 gallon tank (big mistake) and no one was happy, including him. So now bubbles is back in the 15 gallon tank in a breeders net, depressed and not eating. I just don't know what to do now. Do I try to let him go and see what happens, keep him in the breeders net? Please help!

Level are fine, nitrites 0, ammonia 0 and ph 7.4. Tankmates include:

3 red-eye tetras
2 mollys
1 platy
1 dwarf platy
1 dwarf pleco

Everyone else is doing great. All fish are males except for 2 red-eye tetras.

I guessing, since early October, late September. Bubbles is my daughter's favorite fish, is there an experimental drug?

Seriously, any suggestions.

He could be just old and dying. A lot of those livebearers that hit the LFS have been bred so much and in such poor condition in the stores that by the time consumers buy them, they don't have much life in them.

Other then hiding, is he breathing hard? If at all possible (depending on your other occupants), try adding some salt to the tank. 1Tbsp per 5 gallons.

Sorry to hear about your poor platy.

No, he is not breathing hard. He seems to wiggle slowly quite a bit to stay alittle above ground.

No, I was joking about the antidepressants.
Do you have a QT tank that Bubbles could be placed in?

I was kidding also.

I have a fish bowl. I am doing a water change today so I could put some of the tank water in there. My QT tank is really set up for incoming fish as it has fish in there to keep it cycled. Also the tank is infested with ICH so I can't put him in there.

Okay, hard to tell :D

A fish bowl would be okay if you can keep the temp stable and of course do PWC daily.

OK, I'll try it but I am not too confident it will help the poor fish. I've never been able to bring back a sick fish (mental or physical) except for ICH. My daughter is going to be very sad. She is 8 years old.

How many days can I hold a gallon a dechloriated water before it goes bad? I don't really want to fill a gallon of water each day just to use a few cups of water for my daily changes. However, if I need to, I will.

If you can put a cover on it, that will keep out bacteria and fungus from the air. Although, if there are no nutrients in the water, nothing will grow.

I'm sorry, I don't understand your second sentence. Can I keep a bottle of dechlorinated water for several days? If yes, how long.

It's not as though you are keeping sugar water, in which plenty can grow. I would and have kept dechlored water for a couple of weeks sealed in a tub.

Bubbles is worse. I tried feeding him worms and he would put it in his mouth and spit it out. His back fins are clamped and he wiggles to move around. Is there anything I can do? :(

You can prepare your daughter for the possible loss of bubbles, as he may be suffering from old age? Or you could go out and new fishie that looks just like him! She may never tell the difference....... :?

She is already knows that he might not make it. It would be very difficult to replace bubbles as he has unque coloring. And besides, eight year olds are too smart for that.

Add a touch of aquarium salt and hope for the best. He could be suffering from anything, but once they stop eating and sulk, it's often too late. If he is gasping for air (although, it sounds like a small bowl, so oxygen diffusion should not be a problem), aggitate the water's surface.

I really think he is just dying of old age. Livebearers don't live long, especially the one's you buy at your LFS.

If you happen to have fry and raise it yourself, they have a longer life.

One of my platies just died recently of what amounted to old age...sounds much like what you are describing...except it all happened very quickly with mine. Sorry I can't bring better news.

Back
Top Bottom