very high amonia, please help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

emi131

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I recently purchased a new 15 gal tank for my goldfish and 2 weather loaches which I have kept in a smaller tank for years with no problems. The pet store employee told me to run my filter for a couple of days and then add the fish which I now realize was a HUGE mistake as it had not had chance to cycle. I did however add the ornaments from the old tank and wash the gravel out with the old water. The fish seemed normal for about a week until I noticed that my weather loaches were showing signs of fin rot. I put treatment in the tank but sadly I lost them both. I have now noticed that although my goldfish is swimming and eating normally, his fins have red streaks and white bumps on them which I believe to be signs of amonia posioning? I went back to the pet store today to get the water tested and was told that the amonia and nitrate levels are "so high that it is a miracle that the goldfish is still alive" and that to fix the problem I should do 25% water changes every 2 days until the problem is fixed. I've been reading up on this and found contrasting information as some people say that in an emergency I need to do large water changes daily and some people say not to change the water as it will remove the bacteria needed for the cycle so I'm very confused.
My question is, how do I reduce these levels and how often/what percentage of water changes should I do? I've had my goldfish for almost 6 years and I would be very sad if I lost him :( I feel terrible for not doing a fishless cycle in the first place but whats done is done :( Please help, I know that I need to act quick to save my surviving fish, although luckily he does seem to be quite tough. Thank you.

The "good bacteria" that help the fish by turning ammonia to nitrite, and nitrite to nitrate, do not live in the water, so doing water changes is okay. But when vacuuming the gravel only do have each time because the bacteria live there (and in the filter). So do big water changes until the ammonia is below .25ppm. Also, I would by a test kit. API freshwater master test kit is what everyone uses on here (well, almost everyone). They are expensive in stores, but about $20 on amazon.

Big suggestion, it may be old tech, but buy a corner filter with an air pump and run carbon and some Ammo chips. That should knock it down while the water changes continue.

The "good bacteria" that help the fish by turning ammonia to nitrite, and nitrite to nitrate, do not live in the water, so doing water changes is okay. But when vacuuming the gravel only do have each time because the bacteria live there (and in the filter). So do big water changes until the ammonia is below .25ppm. Also, I would by a test kit. API freshwater master test kit is what everyone uses on here (well, almost everyone). They are expensive in stores, but about $20 on amazon.

I would also really get a test kit, test the water, and post some pics so we can see how high the ammonia and stuff really is.
And also, what type of goldfish is it? And is it the only fish now?

Thanks for the replies. I have now been doing daily water changes of about 30-40%. I am currently using test strips to test the water but I've heard that they are not as accurate so I will definitely buy a reliable test kit.
My goldfish still appears to be eating and swimming around as normal but has still got the red streaks on his tail (see pic)
So long as it does not get any worse, is there a chance that my fish could recover from the ammonia poisoning or do you think it is too late?
Here is a pic of my goldfish (sorry for the bad quality), it is a comet and yes it is the only fish.

4se1LPO.jpg

Thanks for the replies. I have now been doing daily water changes of about 30-40%. I am currently using test strips to test the water but I've heard that they are not as accurate so I will definitely buy a reliable test kit.
My goldfish still appears to be eating and swimming around as normal but has still got the red streaks on his tail (see pic)
So long as it does not get any worse, is there a chance that my fish could recover from the ammonia poisoning or do you think it is too late?
Here is a pic of my goldfish (sorry for the bad quality), it is a comet and yes it is the only fish.

So is the ammonia ok now? What is it at? I'm not sure about it recovering though. I've never had ammonia poisoning so not sure. But the red streaks look pretty cool IMO.

Your tank is not large enough for a comet goldfish. Comets are considered pond fish, and need a larger tank and water volume in order to stay happy and healthy.

For that size tank, I'd do 50% water changes daily until the ammonia and nitrates come down, while I was looking on Craigslist and other places for a larger tank. Unless you have access to a pond, in which case, that's where I'd go with this fish.

And just an FYI - although fancy goldfish are more suited to a tank of this size (only ONE fish), to keep goldfish at all, bigger is always best when talking about tank size.

ETA: If the red streaks are ammonia burns, expect them to turn black as they heal. Eventually they will fade.

I have a comet that was kept by its previous owner in a 15gal tank. This is the result:

image-3519852446.jpg

I have him in a 74 gal tank now, which is still not big enough, but its not easy to find someone with a pond who wants to take a fish that looks like that. So for now we are stuck with each other, and I'm stuck with 30% wcs every 2 days.

I have a comet that was kept by its previous owner in a 15gal tank. This is the result:

I have him in a 74 gal tank now, which is still not big enough, but its not easy to find someone with a pond who wants to take a fish that looks like that. So for now we are stuck with each other, and I'm stuck with 30% wcs every 2 days.

Ugh. That is one beat up goldfish. Poor thing. Is that like some kind of fungal growth is something? And 30% pwc every 2 days are not fun......

Ugh. That is one beat up goldfish. Poor thing. Is that like some kind of fungal growth is something? And 30% pwc every 2 days are not fun......

No it's not fungal or anything that can be cured or is contagious. It started out black- and as the blackness faded, the masses grew larger. He has been like that a long time- it's the result of ammonia burns from being in a tank too small for its bioload.

30% every 2 days wouldn't be so bad if I didn't also have a bunch of other tanks that get large water changes twice a week. Lol

No it's not fungal or anything that can be cured or is contagious. It started out black- and as the blackness faded, the masses grew larger. He has been like that a long time- it's the result of ammonia burns from being in a tank too small for its bioload.

30% every 2 days wouldn't be so bad if I didn't also have a bunch of other tanks that get large water changes twice a week. Lol

Oh, those ammonia burns are gruesome......
Do you use the gravel cleaners that connect to the sink, go into a bucket, or something else?

I siphon from the tanks, out my front door to the drain, and refill with a hose from my kitchen tap straight to the tanks. I couldn't manage without that system in place.

How is he doing? He can recover from the ammonia poisoning so long as he is rehoused in a large tank or pond. I think red streaks in fins and tails is a sign of a bacterial infection. Not sure.

I would buy amquel ammonia detoxifier. Also maybe some (debatable if it works) QuickStart and stresszyme.

Back
Top Bottom