Very high Nitrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WJH1748

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
We moved the tank last weekend. Fish, water, sand, rock, everything. The tank was set backup Sat pm. I checked the levels. Salinity 1.023. Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0.2, PH 8.0. NITRATE 70-100! I've seen other post talking about removing some of the bioballs? I have some live rock, however it is not very established. I know there is a heavy bio load with the triggers and puffers. No corals or inverts. Should I do a water change? Is this high number from moving the tank? ????

I take it you have been testing for nitrate all along prior to the move and it was never close to this level prior to the move?

Its probable that the move stired up nitrate into the water and yes a water change would be of benifit to lower it.

Thanks... unfortunately we received the tank as is, with no info. So I'm not sure what the level was before. It's a 72 gal, so from reading other post, about a 35% change would be ok? Thanks for your help... WJH :wink:

Back
Top Bottom