Very peculiar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trisomy21

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm new to all this fish business, received a 15 gal with a Kenyi + Peacock, luckily juvenile. Bought my 55 gal the other day, along with a Ehiem 2217, new heater and a crapload of new decorations and some good lights. And also got a 35 gallon as well.

The strange thing, the Peacock has been chasing the Kenyi around, relentlessly and the Kenyi started turning blue, was very passive, in fact it actually stopped eating for about a week. However, since adding a few new hiding spots to the tank he/she has been more aggressive and turned kind of pink and is eating more....

cichlids are very territorial. they do wierd things when they dont have places to hide and call their own. and also change colors very often. Kenyi are usually blue as juvies, then as they mature, the males will turn ornage and the females will stay blue. I have to admit, ive never personally seen or heard of a kenyi turning pink

I have 3 kenyi and have never seen them turn pink they are all blue. The only change in colour I see is their stripes fade or darken depending on their mood but nothing close to pink. I would start adding some more fish to your tank to give the dominent fish more targets to chase and the less dominent fish a chance to get lost in the crowd. Also provide as many caves and hiding places as you can for your fish. It is supprising that it is your peacock causing the problems, kenyi are well known bullies. The kenyis are near the top of the pecking order in my tank and they share their tank with auratus and johanni. The pecking order in your tank may change in time but any way good luck and welcome to the hobby.

Yeah the friend I got the Kenyi off was surprised too, his Kenyi would probably go after his fully grown Oscar if they put them in the same tank...Mine is kind of a coward, or the peacock is unusually aggressive.

Maybe it just looks pink under the new light, but it's not as blue as it was.

Back
Top Bottom