very sick goldie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JC_Biggs

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Started as red streaks on fins. Checked water and everything was off the chart..( bad advice and I didn't know better) Immiediatly did a 50 % pwc and started marycyn 2. Two days later water not better so changed another 25 % and put in a few REAL plants and some Bio balls from a friends healthy tank. . . Today I come home and he has open sores now. Ie Not getting any better..put in a little metafix just in case. He looks bad ...septecimia I think

Also I put in another air stone because the fish seemed to be gasping. The ammonia crashed like four hours later. (Finally) I will say at least his gills are moving now

Put in salt but didn't know how much to start with so just away table spoon. Any ideas here?

Any advice?? Am I on the right track fixiing him?

Daily 50% water changes, add salt now and with every water changes (to replace what the water changes removes).

Continue with PWC's but we need the following info to help further.

What type of goldfish? How large is the tank, what type of filtration, and what are your ammo, nitrite, nitrates?

ok sorry about that..i was sending from my droid and it posted mid text... more info posted

adding the extra oxygen helped the water alot.
ammonia somwhere between 0 and 25 and falling
nitrite the same
nitrates at 40

its just a run of the mill walmart goldfish, but hes BIG...

also i cant change the water again because of the marycyn...this infection is BAD so i dont wanna take him off antibotics yet. i got a pic but i dont even wanna post it :( im on day 4 so i can change the water in 2 days, ill do a 50 instead of the recommended 25.

i also set up a 10 gallon tank under neath that im using as a sump (not turned on yet) but i got it to cycle already so im gonna use the water from that.

I would continue to perform large 50%+ daily water changes adding salt at 1tbs per 5 gallons, medicating when water chemisty is off only compounds the issue stressing the heck out of the fish.

JC_Biggs said:
Started as red streaks on fins. Checked water and everything was off the chart..( bad advice and I didn't know better) Immiediatly did a 50 % pwc and started marycyn 2. Two days later water not better so changed another 25 % and put in a few REAL plants and some Bio balls from a friends healthy tank. . . Today I come home and he has open sores now. Ie Not getting any better..put in a little metafix just in case. He looks bad ...septecimia I think

Also I put in another air stone because the fish seemed to be gasping. The ammonia crashed like four hours later. (Finally) I will say at least his gills are moving now

Put in salt but didn't know how much to start with so just away table spoon. Any ideas here?

Any advice?? Am I on the right track fixiing him?

Red streaks means high nitrate. Open sore sounds like an ulcer. U should be doin water changes every day! Keeping ammonia below 0.25ppm making sure temp and ph is the same when doin so. And please post a pic. Noone here will judge u. Pic will help identify and confirm that it's ulcer. U shouldnt mix two medication together. Ulcer can be fixed melafix will do the job.

How big is Ur tank? What and how many goldfish? Is it filtered? Please don't e afraid to answer these questions!

its a 30 gallon tank. the fish is just the only one ( couple of snails in there, that im removing to raise to salt) depending on what day you measure him though, he is somewhere between 12 and 14 inches long. got a standard carbon cascade filter on it. had to take it out to do the marycyn. (according to the label) and now have bio balls in that filter from my friends tank. ph is 7.0 and ammonia is finally down to 0. nitrates are still at 40 this morning. everything ive read has led me to beleive it is Hemorrhagic Septicemia. i will change the water asap. i used the melafix because (according to the label) instant relief for open wounds...so figured what the heck he is bad off any ways. ill post my pics in just a few. thanks.

Here is pics. This morning gill function is noticeably improved. Can someone let me know how much salt to addb I read one teaspoon per gallon. Ten table spoons seems like a lot

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110630_082759.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110630_082759.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 97
  • ForumRunner_20110630_082809.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110630_082809.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 98
Definitely daily water changes. You can add maracyn back for what is removed with the water change, but water changes will be his best chance.

Water changes, aeration, and salt.

I have discovered my main problem. I didn't realize chlorine was toxic to the bacteria, I thought it was toxic to the fish. but only over time like nitrates. So I had been changing water, and adding water when it got low but I always filed the tank first then put in the conditioner. I Will be conditioning in a bucket from now on for sure.

O wow ur goldfish looks like it lots Alot of it's color if not all unless that is his original color. Hmm there seem to be more than one problem in this tank. I'll try figuring it out. In the mean time :p it's a good idea to use dechlorinator :p haha all the best

Can u also provide me with Ur ph, and temp? Thanks

And also when u are washing Ur filter media! Use old aquarium water. Because beneficial bacteria is sensitive to chlorine and will die when comes in contact! :)

What kinda filter are u using btw?

Ph is 7 now. Was 7.8. Temp is consistent 68. I don't wash the filter. Just knock the gunk off with a pipe cleaner and vac it up. Had a carbon filter in it but now it has a filter full of bio balls from a healthy tank. So the bacteria should be at least partially established. The water was conditioned before I put them in. I'm did vacuum out a ton of waste during the first 75% change.

Oh I'm also have a foam filter that has been in the carbon filter for a while. I slid it in to the carbon pack spot and dumped the bio balls in the back.

JC_Biggs said:
Ph is 7 now. Was 7.8. Temp is consistent 68. I don't wash the filter. Just knock the gunk off with a pipe cleaner and vac it up. Had a carbon filter in it but now it has a filter full of bio balls from a healthy tank. So the bacteria should be at least partially established. The water was conditioned before I put them in. I'm did vacuum out a ton of waste during the first 75% change.

O cool :) sounds like u got the jizz of things :)

I posted that a while back. That is what I'm thinking too. but he's on the right meds and the tank is doing better so, well see

Back
Top Bottom