very small tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Da Squid

Aquarium Advice Freak
I acquired a small 2 gallon tank from my parents and was looking to turn it into either a planted shrimp tank, a quarantine tank, or both. Could anyone give me some tips on how to heat and filter this thing? Also, is it possible to keep this thing going as a shrimp tank and to also occasionaly serve as a QT when I get new fish? The largest qt fish I'd ever put in there would probably be a swordtail.

They have those little pad heaters you can actually tuck into a HOB filter. If you are going to use it for shrimp but if you are going to use it for a QT/hospital tank then you will want to have an adjustable heater. I think using it as a shrimp tank is probably the best idea IMO.

Yeah... you're probably right. I'd just really like to have a QT tank but two gallons probably isn't practical. I cant even envision the mechanics of setting up a tank this small with a heater and filter. A tiny log, some ground cover and a few red shrimp would look really pretty though I suppose.

I have several tanks around this size with a heater and filter. I use mini-heaters which are quite enough to heat 2 gallons a few degree above room temo which is generally all that is needed. I put a sucker on them and put them on the bottom with gravel over the top. There are really good small filters now, including really tiny submersables.

i would just go with a shrimp tank. not good to mix qt and other since if you have to use meds it will probably harm the shrimp and you wouldnt be able to disinfect the tank after a qt.

i would just go with a shrimp tank. not good to mix qt and other since if you have to use meds it will probably harm the shrimp and you wouldnt be able to disinfect the tank after a qt.

+1 on shrimp being sensitive to most meds. You definitely wanna do one or the other.
Shrimp are very amusing and will easily tend to your planted tank for you. The small size makes it ideal for keeping shrimp or a single betta.

Back
Top Bottom