VHO ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vermonter310

Aquarium Advice Activist
I seem to be able to buy more wattage in VHO than in PC for the same money......Are there some drawbacks to VHO that I'm missing? Looking at purchasing the 4X110 VHO retrofit from Hellolights. any thoughts would be appriciated.
P.S. not doing MH now, perhaps in the future.

Thanks
Mike

youll have to replace the VHO bulbs way more often as well. Something like every 3 months where PC's are every 18 months.

BBReef said:
youll have to replace the VHO bulbs way more often as well. Something like every 3 months where PC's are every 18 months.

I acutally replace my PC's on a 9 month schedule. I used to do 12 months but found the intensity and specitrum really faded away in the later part of that 12month period. Just yesterday I replaced my actinics after only 8 months. The tank was a yellowish look compaired to the white look of just a month ago. WHen I looked at the bulbs the actinics had lost noticable intensity to a point that they where basicly useless. Now my tank with the new actincs bulbs has a nice white/blue glow to it again.

Something like every 3 months

Eh? I've never replaced my VHO's more than once every 9 months, and that's running them 12-13 hours/day.

IMO, VHO's have much better spectrum/coloration than PC's - but that's very much personal preference.

Sorry to bump in bu....I need some actnic lighting for my tank, only have 2 250w 10K coralvue mh's. Do you think 2x110w Actnic VHO's would look good?

Contrary to some of the responses above, there's little difference in the spectra in VHOs vs PC vs T12s vs T5's, ets. They are all florescent tubes that use the same industry phospors.

There is one big advantage that VHO's and the other bulbs have over PC's, and that's variety. With PC's you typically have a choice of actinic, or 10,000k, or 50/50. Not whole lot in between unless you want to hunt. To get around the problem I typically use my 10,000k 96watt PC's with a light magenta plastic sleeve over them combineds with actinic to get the light spectra I want.

I have used VHO, PC and MH lighting....The color and viewing pleasure was best with VHO. As stated earlier, the main difference is the depth of the penetration of the useable light.

Whenever you cover a bulb with plastic, or lenses, you are cutting down on the usefulness of the light IMO. Get the right spectrum for your needs from the beginning.

The color and viewing pleasure was best with VHO.

And I prefer PCs for my viewing pleasure, but I'm used to the "VHO is better than anything else" philosophy by now. As I just stated, VHO offers a greater variety of bulb types over PC because they aren't as difficult to manufacture being a more conventional tube size, and that means a greater degree of customization and lighting type available. The best looking tanks I've seen are shallow reef tanks with a combination of PC or VHO actinic and low temp (5000-6000k) T5s to fill in the reds. I'll stick to PC's regardless and shift to T5 when it becomes more mainstream. I didn't get into this hobby to spend large amount of time stringing transformers off my tanks and buying exotic tubes that I can't find on the rack at my LFS.

As stated earlier, the main difference is the depth of the penetration of the useable light.

Because PC's have a greater concentrated light source. The thinner the tube, the greater the light intensity. More tubes diffused over a wider area does not get the same water penetration.

Get the right spectrum for your needs from the beginning.

That was a bit rude, wasn't it??? Maybe I'll contact GE and have them make me a special triple phosphor to my liking. Marine organisms could care less if you're lighting them with a notch spectrum light such as a true actinic, or filtering a broader band lighting to get what you want - the later is simply less efficient. 10,000k lights still have too much green/yellor for my liking, and the magenta sleeve filters that crap out while making the tank look better. Nobody makes a florescent tube with a supressed middle visible band that I'm aware of.

no wseaton, I was not being rude. Most of us need every lumen of light we can get in order to satisfy the needs of the life in the tank. I dont have lumens to spare where I can cover my bulbs like that. That was the point I was trying to make.

As far as being rude, you telling people in another post to "wake up" was a direct attack on them and that was rude...just as an example of what I consider rude to be.

im just wondering what that low light mushroom is supposed to prove.......

That some of you sleep with your VHOs.

I'm also wondering if "advisors" are normally this rude? Like many hobbies I've learned that when a small majority uses a specific product (VHO's) it suddenly becomes superior to the more mainstream (PC's). VHOs also emit special tachyons and photons with a special quantum tunneling effect that promote the growth of hard corals. PC's don't have that.

Where's the delete 'my account' button???

Just for the record, I use MH in my tanks. I stated I had used VHO and liked them.
In fact, I just upgraded tonight to 20k 250 watt MH bulbs in my showtank. I still like the look of VHO better. Personal opinion.

As far as deleting your account. Email reefrunner69 or fishfreak to discuss the matter.
hth

Back
Top Bottom