Wall Mount Build Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abnkeis

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,

I am preparing to build a wall mount aquarium, about 36"x16"x4.5". I am assuming 6mm glass is sufficient. Do I need any bracing for this size and is a silicone joint between the glass best or silicone on the inside down the joints ok? Also what type of hood would work best for this set up?

Thanks In Advance!

4.5" from front to back? What are you going to put in that? Doesn't leave much room to turn around. Would have to be small fish. BTW, welcome to AA!

Yes 4.5" front to back. I know that size doesn't leave a whole lot of choices in fish, but I only have room in the house for a wall tank. I have not decided on the fish type yet either.

Maintenance and access also, substrate, decor. Many things to consider that would make this a pain in my opinion. It would be over 100lbs though, so I would think bracing would be required. I dont know how you would silicone the inside joints with that little room on the interior of the tank. They would definitely have to be siliconed though or they would leak.

NOTE: That is about 11 gallons. Pretty high maintenance depending on what you put in it too.

what if you made a stand right in front of the wall so you could have the tank stick out of the wall 5.5 in or more then you could have it 10 in wide

imo.. that tank is more trouble than its worth... i agree with henry.. is there a way you can just use that wall by itself?

Thanks for the input, I may try to go up to 6 inches wide, but the only wall I have is an exterior wall so I can not go into the wall. Any help with my original question would be much appreciated.

I would like to do salt, but this is my first one so I figured I better start with a fresh water.

Thanks for the input, I may try to go up to 6 inches wide, but the only wall I have is an exterior wall so I can not go into the wall. Any help with my original question would be much appreciated.
best to use a interior wall.

Still trying to find out about the building process, "do I need any bracing for this size and is a silicone joint between the glass best or silicone on the inside down the joints ok? Also what type of hood would work best for this set up?"

Well, everything for this tank will have to be custom made. You only have 4.5", is that the inside of the tank dimension or outside? How thick will the glass be? My tank had silicone between the glass as well as in all the joints. As far as a hood, you will need to get a ballast and built a custom 1 bulb fixture.

I'm thinking I may try to enlarge it to a 5" inside dimension with 1/4 thick glass, so 5 1/2" overall.

Does the hood need to seal or just sit over the top?

I meant a tight seal when it is sitting on top, not a permanent seal.

Back
Top Bottom