walmart light strips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish_newbie

Aquarium Advice Activist
i have a 10g puffertank(cycling)and i dont have a hood or light strip but im thinking to go for the light strips because puffers dont jump and so i can save some money ...much do walmart light strimps usually go for?

thanks

I think you are talking maybe $12-$14.00

I have many times used fluoro light strips from Walmart or from a home center to light a small tank. Works great.

Remember that you still need a glass top between the light strip and the water. You can not safely just put a strip light above the water without some protection. Check Home Depot for light strips too, Wal Marts sometimes have a pretty crappy selection.

Here is a $7 48 inch twin tube shop light from Home Depot over my friend's 55g:

55nl.jpg

The bulbs are GE Aquarays, $8 each.

If you want to keep live plants in the future, Get the incadescent strip, and put plantgrowth screw in flourescents in it [ Wal-mart also has these bulbs, very nice, all my planted 10gals run under these lights and grow crazy ].

grimlock3000 said:
Here is a $7 48 inch twin tube shop light from Home Depot over my friend's 55g:

The bulbs are GE Aquarays, $8 each.

Are you kidding?!?! Don't 48in twin tubes cost about $100 if you buy them at the pet store, or did I read that wrong. Because if thats the case Im totally heading over to Home Depot.

They have a hood with a light for the 10 gal at Wal-Mart for $20.

Wal-Mart sells the Aquaculture hoods (which is Wal-Mart's Aquatics company, btw) for varying prices. Trying to remember..I think the 10 gal incadescent is around $15. 10 gal Flourscent is around $20. The larger size up, up to 30 gallons I believe run $25 - $30.

They are good quality, I run them on two of my tanks, the 55 gal and 10 gal.

Hmmm, I should go to my local HD to see about lighting one of my small tanks and a couple of tanks with crumby bulbs that get HOT!

BTW, fish_newbie, I was really tired last night or else I would have looked myself and realized they weren't there.

Don't 48in twin tubes cost about $100 if you buy them at the pet store, or did I read that wrong. Because if thats the case Im totally heading over to Home Depot.

Keep in mind these are cheap lights - they are ones you would install on chains hanging over your bench in the garage - cheap ballasts and everything.

I don't plan on growing anything so it wouldn't be that bad would it?

Maybe later down the line I can get a better light but right now this 75gal thing is really pushing my (chococat) wallet

It would not be bad at all - I grew tons of stuff with great success using plain ole shop lights. The pics in my gallery of the 55gal are with shop lights on top (old pics). Go for it! Just be sure you have glass tops on the tank, or suspend the lights - they are not designed to handle the moisture at all.

Back
Top Bottom