want a new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

steeledarren

Aquarium Advice Activist
hi i have a 60 litre tank currently but i am looking into purchasing something from 160 to 200 litres. i have a few questions,

what shape tank is best

what type of filtet would you recommend, external or internal

and how should i go about transferring my fish between tanks. thankyou

The shape is totally up to you. I really like the bowfronts and the long breeder type tanks. That is completely personal preference. As for the filter, that will also be a personal preference along with the needs of the tank. Aquaclear hang on filters are, imo, the only way to go if you go with a hang on filter. Fluval or Rena canister filters are the best for the money if you're wanting a canister. Once you get the tank up and cycled, just acclimate your fish like you would bringing them home from the lfs and you can transfer them. Are you planning on keeping the smaller tank as well?

I currently have a 189L (50G) tank and I really like it. I'm not a fan of the longer, narrower tanks (55G). If you're going to go with a hang on filter, I'd recommend NOT to get the Marineland Penguin series. Their "bio-wheel" design is clever in concept, but it gets clogged more often than not.

What you could do to speed up the cycling process is fill up the new tank with fresh water or water from your old tank. Then, take the filter pads from your old tank and shake them out in the water in the new tank. This will introduce beneficial bacteria into the new tank. This will give your bacterial colony a head start and should make the cycling process require less time.

Long tanks are better than high tanks. Fish swim side to side a lot more than up and down. (Unless you have khuli loaches.)

+1 on the AquaClears. Penguins are also good if you don't have sand substrate. If you're particular about noise, a canister filter is better than a HOB.

Old tank water will do very little to help your new tank cycle. The bacteria live on surfaces in the tank. The old filter media will help the cycle though.

Long tanks are better than high tanks. Fish swim side to side a lot more than up and down. (Unless you have khuli loaches.)

+1 on the AquaClears. Penguins are also good if you don't have sand substrate. If you're particular about noise, a canister filter is better than a HOB.

Old tank water will do very little to help your new tank cycle. The bacteria live on surfaces in the tank. The old filter media will help the cycle though.

I didn't say that I don't like long tanks, I said that I don't like the long, NARROW tanks, such as the 55 gallon ones. I feel that they really hamper your selection of decor in the tank.

Also, during cycling, you're trying to introduce elements that will aid in the formation of the bacterial colony. "Used" tank water will be more beneficial for this operation than fresh water will.

thanks ppl, i think i will keep the old tank for ill fish, i will prob get a cannister filter as i like the way they save room, any ideas on a decent size tank for around 200 pound please

Back
Top Bottom