Want to add a couple fish to my 38 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SteelersFan

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have an established 38 gallon tank. Been set up for about 2-3 years now. Right now, I have 1 angelfish, 8 platies, and 2 bristlenose plecos in it. I have had all these fish for the entire 2 or 3 years it has been set up. I have a friend who wants all my platies, so this will free up some space for me. I want some flashy fish. I was thinking maybe another angelfish or maybe 2 ram cichlids. Anyone know of some very flashy fish that are compatible with my angel and bristlenose plecos? If it helps, it's an all planted tank with driftwood and it's got a sun sun canister filter and a aqueon 30 hob filter.

I have an established 38 gallon tank. Been set up for about 2-3 years now. Right now, I have 1 angelfish, 8 platies, and 2 bristlenose plecos in it. I have had all these fish for the entire 2 or 3 years it has been set up. I have a friend who wants all my platies, so this will free up some space for me. I want some flashy fish. I was thinking maybe another angelfish or maybe 2 ram cichlids. Anyone know of some very flashy fish that are compatible with my angel and bristlenose plecos? If it helps, it's an all planted tank with driftwood and it's got a sun sun canister filter and a aqueon 30 hob filter.

Go Steelers!

Not a cichlid, they will bother your other fish if not attack them. I would try some celestial pearl danios. They are pretty neat!

Go Steelers!

Not a cichlid, they will bother your other fish if not attack them. I would try some celestial pearl danios. They are pretty neat!

The angelfish would eat celestial pearl danios. They're so tiny, they'd be like chicken nuggets for the angel.

2 electric blue rams would be a great addition. Mine just eat regular flakes and bloodworms, and they're soooo colourful!

A blue badis would also look nice.

I think I am leaning toward the rams, but also contemplating a school of larger tetras. My angelfish never bothers my platies, so I think i'd be ok with a tetra school even though the angel is about 7 inches tall. Also, what about a red tail shark? They seem pretty cool but idk if they would get along with the bristlenose pleco.

Rainbows

Sent from my fish tank

Maybe dwarf rainbows, a 38 isn't big enough for the regular boesemani, etc. Plus, rainbows are quick and aggressive for food and tend to be nippy if not kept in a large enough school, in my experience 8 or more. They wouldn't do well with an angelfish.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Are you serious, wouldn't do well with angels? They are known for being with angels all the time, they may be a bit spastic but they will not nip an angel of decent size in my experience. And as long as the 38 have good filtration six boesmani would be more than fine

Sent from my fish tank

Based on aqadvisor, my filtration capacity is over 250%, so i don't think that will be a problem. I was always interested in rainbows because they are beautiful, but i know nothing about them

What filtration you have, tbh sites like aqua advisor are always a bit too conservative

Sent from my fish tank

Way over crowded w rainbows...I'd go with a school of large tetras...maybe diamonds.

I like bolivian rams more than GBR because they are less delicate. Just as pretty IMO...

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Way over crowded w rainbows...I'd go with a school of large tetras...maybe diamonds.

I like bolivian rams more than GBR because they are less delicate. Just as pretty IMO...

+1

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Yes diamonds ore bleeding hearts would do well. What about dwarf rainbows like the fork tail blue eye?

Aquariums make for a betta world. Wanna discus it?

Love my dwarf rainbows...I have furcata and gertrudae. Colorful, active, yet they don't harass other fish.

Can you tell me a bit about their requirements? I want to get some and a large school of celestial pearl danios. I can't find much info on their care. I can post a new topic about them if you want. Or could you do a species profile? I love both of those fish.

Can you tell me a bit about their requirements? I want to get some and a large school of celestial pearl danios. I can't find much info on their care. I can post a new topic about them if you want. Or could you do a species profile? I love both of those fish.

I have recently acquired both fish and they are quite opposite of each other. The forktails/furcatas are very active, boisterous, and require some room. They remind me of zebra danios. The CPDs are not as active, smaller, and somewhat shy. They may get outcompeted for food. I'm thinking about moving the CPDs to the shrimp tank.
Both have gorgeous coloration.

Back
Top Bottom