Want to add snails..any suggestions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maco5

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I would like to add some snails to one of my tanks.
I am leaning towards the tropical tank, but since I am still learning, I dont' know which snail if any will work best.

I also have a cold tank I could put one in.

One of the LFS I frequent has tons of snails in almost every tank, so this makes me worry about them reproducing.

HELP!!!

I don't know anything about breed specifics, but if you want a tropical tank, you need to get a tropical snail. Your LFS should have a seperate section for all their tropical fish. Also yes, depending on the breed the snails don't even need a mate to reproduce. 8O

I hope that helps some. I'm not a snail expert, but no one else has responded yet so I'm just putting in my 2 cents. :)

-brent

A lot of the snails can be pests and can reproduce like mad, depending on the amount of excess food available.

http://www.applesnail.net is a good start for info. The site provides info about snails other than apple snails as well.

I've heard nothing but good things about that site! I have added mts to two tanks with sand. The snails help with aeration, but baby snails are seen everyday!

Back
Top Bottom