Wanting To Start A 29 Gallon FOWLR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I got my base rock and water in the tank! Painted the back of it black and am using my koraili 1050 and it doesnt seem to be to much flow.

Will post some pictures later today. Should I put anything in it to jump start the cycle or is that pointless till I get my live rock.

well decided to go check out a LFS that I dont really like to much for freshwater fish so havent considered them as much of an option for me to get things from. However They do have alot of SW fish and rocks probably one of the bigger selections for SW in town. So I went in today and looked at their stuff and found they had very nice live rock with good coraline algae on it and the price was only 6$ a LB and its 9-12 every other place. So I picked up "4" Lbs they said but it was truly more like 7-9lbs. while doing this I told him I was cycling my tank and he said it would be good to put a couple damsels in the tank for a fish in cycle. I said I didnt want to do a fish in cycle however though a long conversation with him he persuaded me that a fish in cycle was the way to go. So I picked up 2x Blue Damsels and he said that after the cycle he would be more then happy to take them back and allow me to put the 8$ (4$ each) on the fish in my stock list when the time came.

Im going to snag a Marineland Single Bright LED light for my tank for the time till xmass because Im getting my Coralife T5HO 4Bulb with Moon lights on it. after i get the T5HO I will put the LED on my 40 gallon tank

So how do I know if I have to much circulation for corals? Im using a Korilia 1050 right now because the other one I have is smaller then I thought so I dont know if I need to buy a different GPH power-head. The damsels dont mind it at all I don't think. when I put food in it never hits the bottom. If a 1050 is to much for corals what GPH should I go with?

Posting Some Pictures so far. Im not a big fan of the rock scape but Im not messing with it to much right now because I am planning on getting at least 15lbs of dry rock and 5lbs of live rock, just not sure if I should get 5lbs of small rock or one big piece. Id like to bring the rock I put in it towards the glass so that it isnt just all stacked on the back wall.

Tell me what you think, I dont have any lights yet so the pictures are kind of dark. I hope to order a double Bright LED tomorrow during blackfriday or Monday when ever they go on sale. getting a 24-36" light so that I can put it on my 40 gallon that doesnt have a light right now either after I get my t5ho.

img_1663232_0_a0383e9b5ddd26a86cbaac288ba28577.jpg

img_1663232_1_622d1247d5e54bd1834fc8cdd1e8d999.jpg

img_1663232_2_8d946dc9fde9c64ddf2868091e235768.jpg

img_1663232_3_0b16ddd22623dd44e94c9e94e0530613.jpg

CleverBs said:
doing this I told him I was cycling my tank and he said it would be good to put a couple damsels in the tank for a fish in cycle. I said I didnt want to do a fish in cycle however though a long conversation with him he persuaded me that a fish in cycle was the way to go. So I picked up 2x Blue Damsels and he said that after the cycle he would be more then happy to take them back and allow me to put the 8$ (4$ each) on the fish in my stock list when the time came.

I'm curious, how did he persuade you?

Also, you'll have a dickens of a time catching those guys without ripping your rockwork apart. They're pretty mean to boot, so keeping them isn't really a good option either.

I'm curious, how did he persuade you?

Also, you'll have a dickens of a time catching those guys without ripping your rockwork apart. They're pretty mean to boot, so keeping them isn't really a good option either.

im fine with removing my rock work, I plan on removing them the day I do the 50% water change after the cycle is finished. So ill redo my rock work then.

ordered my Double Bright a min ago for 85$ for a 24-36inch fixture. rather good deal with free 2-3 day shipping.

So today I got a large 8lb piece of live rock and its very nice. so it brings my total to 13lbs of live rock and 20lbs of dry rock, do I need more rock then this for now? Maybe would consider 8-10 more lbs of base rock but no more live rock for me.

Just found a crazy looking crab in my rock that was out scavenging. its white with black stripes and looks very spider like, hes all hairy. Scared the poop out of me when I saw him because Im terrified of spiders and it looked like one but now Im very interested knowing its a crab. I cant find any pictures of it to figure out what it is.

Petrolisthes species is what it is for sure, the white and brown one. Should I remove him right a way or would it be benificial to leave him in while I do my cycle till I add corals?

tried to trap the crab last night with some roast beef and a cup didnt work hes no were to be found this morning, going to try again tonight with a piece of shrimp i think.

failed again last night...going to try again tonight with artificial crab meat.

How do I know if my 1050 is to much flow? my damsels seem to be fine in it just debating on getting a 750 instead for xmass and just using the 1050 till then if its needed, I just dont know if it will be to strong for corals that require "Morderate" water movement. I dont understand if these means they need at least that amount of flow and having more wont hurt anything or they cant have high flow.

ok cool, how long till after my cycle should I wait before getting my CUC? I kind of want to order them from Live Aquaria because I read they have good quality and well their stuff seems rather cheap compared to my LFS even with shipping. Is there a better place I should look into before getting them from LA?

Also that crab will not be caught he didnt go for my bait once again last night.

Back
Top Bottom