Wanting to Start a Nano

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mattyfelts

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just wondering if I'm going to start a nano tank what should I get.

Please answer with the following info:
1. Tank Size
2. Filtration, powerheads?, heating, and any other technology i need
3. Where and what live rock should i get
4. Corals ?
5. Should i get a clean up crew and what fish? (I heard clown fish were good and i love them so maybe one?)
5. OH i almost forgot, substrate what kind etc.
6. Any other useful info, thanks alot you guys :)

Just wondering if I'm going to start a nano tank what should I get. Please answer with the following info: 1. Tank Size 2. Filtration, powerheads?, heating, and any other technology i need 3. Where and what live rock should i get 4. Corals ? 5. Should i get a clean up crew and what fish? (I heard clown fish were good and i love them so maybe one?) 5. OH i almost forgot, substrate what kind etc. 6. Any other useful info, thanks alot you guys :)

Very common questions, I'm sure lots of posts to follow....
1. Tank size, easy answer is the bigger the better but really it depends on budget, features, livestock and what you like. Smaller than 20 gal really limits the live stock.
2. Some nanos are all in ones (filters/pumps built in). Power heads can always be added if required.
3. Your local fish store is a good place for LR, roughly a pound per gallon. Online retailers are good bit you won't get to pick the pieces you want.
4. Liveaquaria had a good section for both nano fish and corals. Go slow and really watch them.
5. CUC's are great and help a lot, clown fish are some of the best, also gobys and blennies. See liveaquaria. Use live sand for substrate, type is up to you.
6. Keep reading forums, tons of info. Go slow, I started 4 nanos in 4 months and I've been through a lifetimes worth of issues. Stay on top of your water tests and water changes. Most importantly, ENJOY!

Very common questions, I'm sure lots of posts to follow....
1. Tank size, easy answer is the bigger the better but really it depends on budget, features, livestock and what you like. Smaller than 20 gal really limits the live stock.
2. Some nanos are all in ones (filters/pumps built in). Power heads can always be added if required.
3. Your local fish store is a good place for LR, roughly a pound per gallon. Online retailers are good bit you won't get to pick the pieces you want.
4. Liveaquaria had a good section for both nano fish and corals. Go slow and really watch them.
5. CUC's are great and help a lot, clown fish are some of the best, also gobys and blennies. See liveaquaria. Use live sand for substrate, type is up to you.
6. Keep reading forums, tons of info. Go slow, I started 4 nanos in 4 months and I've been through a lifetimes worth of issues. Stay on top of your water tests and water changes. Most importantly, ENJOY!
Alrighty, yeah i dont want anything with alot of livestock tbh, just something really pretty. So like 5 gallon would be the best for me but i doubt that would work, what is the smallest i could get or that you would recommend

Alrighty, yeah i dont want anything with alot of livestock tbh, just something really pretty. So like 5 gallon would be the best for me but i doubt that would work, what is the smallest i could get or that you would recommend

A 5 gallon will be tough for a first salt tank, any tank under 10 gallons IMO is much harder as evaporation is a real problem. Also, no fish can really fit in a 5 gallon. Try and get at least a 20, it will make stocking much easier. Coral depends on lighting so that will factor in what corals you can do.

A 5 gallon will be tough for a first salt tank, any tank under 10 gallons IMO is much harder as evaporation is a real problem. Also, no fish can really fit in a 5 gallon. Try and get at least a 20, it will make stocking much easier. Coral depends on lighting so that will factor in what corals you can do.
yeah but I don't have much room right now anyways. Maybe a 15 gal column? Or something along those lines. I was looking at fire fish and gobys. But if I can't get fish id be happy with a shrimp or even coral itself is super pretty.

yeah but I don't have much room right now anyways. Maybe a 15 gal column? Or something along those lines. I was looking at fire fish and gobys. But if I can't get fish id be happy with a shrimp or even coral itself is super pretty.

I'd try and do just a regular 15 if you can fit it. Better dimensions than the column or you could just do a 10. Both fire fish and a goby would fit in either of those tanks.

One of my nanos was the IM nuvo 8 gal, looks great and simple. It has a decent light for softies and zoa's. And ok for small gobys. A simple and cost effective way to have a good display of corals, inverts ( I had Pom Pom crabs and sexy shrimp) and possibly fish. It's a bit more of a daily routine but only a few minutes a day.

Back
Top Bottom