Water change and stress

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

96p993

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just bought a 130G FOWLR that has been setup for several years, it has been up and running in my house for only several days. We saved almost all the water during the move. I know the fish are stressed but would like to do a 40-50% water change pretty soon. Is this too much for the fish right now? All the water parameters are good (dont have chart at work for specifics) but the water has not been changed for about a month. Instead of doing the typical 20% change I thought I would make my first a pretty decent size change. Any and all thoughts would be great.

Hey as long aas your Ammonia, Nitrite are at 0 and your Nitrates are no higher than 10PPM, I would not do a water change since it would stress the fish, I would just replenish the tace elements and if you have live rock, check you phophates and make sure you have the right amount of calcium in your tank.

I would not do a change that big unless you really needed to. why do u want to do one that big? And when you do one make sure the water is up to temp and the SG is the same. save those big WC for when you really need them, they are not fun..

I would go ahead and do the water change....with moving the tank and stirring things up, I am sure nasties have managed to surface. If you keep it to a manageable amount like 20% and make sure the water is the same temp and salinity and you arent making huge sunami's in the tank, the stress to the fish should be minimal. Then do another 20 in 2 weeks time. That should nicely freshen up the water for them.

Back
Top Bottom