Water change frequency

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bige

Aquarium Advice Addict
I change my water 25% once a week. I went to a lfs and their jaw dropped when I said that. They said that is too much. What's your opinion?

Depends on the size of the tank right? 25% of 100 gallons is nothing compared to 25% of 20 gallons.

Personally.. i don't think it's that bad.. It's only 7.25 gallons out of 29 so it's really not that much. I'll probably be doing five gallon changes on my 25G tank.

There is noting wrong with 25% once per week. I would do that much if it was easier, but my tank is pretty big. I do roughly 16% per week.

Once your tank is about 8-12 months old you can start easing off. The parameters are more constant and the LR is mature. I only do 20% biweekly after almost a year and a half.

Bige, never to much water changes. your LFS is looking at the bottom line as far as cost and that is their reason.

If they say something about losing to much beneficial bacteria cause the PWCs are taking them out don't listen. It's all on the rocks. :)

I've been doing about 20% every week for over 20 yrs and have no plans on changing that schedule.

I just completed a 25 gallon PWC for 5 straight days in my 125. Yes, a 100% water change in a week. I was fighting some bad maintenance on my part where my params got out of whack. Normally I do a 25g PWC every other week and will return to that schedule now.

25% a week is a great way to maintain pristine water conditions (depending on feeding).

I have a 125 gallon tank and change mine every week. Tell your LFS to put his jaw back up. LOL

I agree with everyone else.. I have a 55 gallon and do 5-10 gallons a week ( 10-20% change) and its helped wonderfully! I use to do 10-20% every two weeks. I've noticed a big difference already

Back
Top Bottom