Water change idea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishandmusic81

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok so far ive used bottled water to do water changes in my 10 gallon tank but It seems to be getting expensive
Could I put tap in a bucket put conditioner and wait for it to be good?
Or better yet whatdo you guys use or do?
Thanks

Fishandmusic81 said:
Ok so far ive used bottled water to do water changes in my 10 gallon tank but It seems to be getting expensive
Could I put tap in a bucket put conditioner and wait for it to be good?
Or better yet whatdo you guys use or do?
Thanks

That works. I use a hose and put tap directly into my tanks, but I use Seachem Prime (water conditioner) in the tank before adding water.

I have hard tap water so I have to add 6-8 gallons of distilled water along with my tap water, the gallons of water are only 89¢ each, if your levels are coming back ok then there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to use tap water, the conditioner I use can be added to the tank at anytime, its safe for fish plus helps with Ph balance

I'll look into the distilled water sounds pretty cheap for a gallon
Thanks!

Why? If you just use distilled water you will need to add trace elements back into the water. It is overwhelmingly cheaper to

A. use tap water in a bucket with dechlorinator.

B. dose dechlorinator directly into the tank, for the volume of the tank, and then fill the tank with tap water.

severum mama said:
Why? If you just use distilled water you will need to add trace elements back into the water. It is overwhelmingly cheaper to

A. use tap water in a bucket with dechlorinator.

B. dose dechlorinator directly into the tank, for the volume of the tank, and then fill the tank with tap water.

+ 1...isn't distilled water pretty acetic too? There would not be enough nutrients for plants like iron and potassium if you just used distilled water.

not to mention... Most bottled water is just tap water...

Talvari said:
not to mention... Most bottled water is just tap water...

Some of it is.... Some of it isn't. It just depends on the brand I guess.

I started using prime in my tapwater recently. How much of a difference does it make in a saltwater vs. a freshwater?

It does depend on the brand my moms one of those get the quality product kind of people it definitely tastes different than bottles from school cheap brands fountains etc
But I'm gonna go with the tap water and prime idea

sanchezkk said:
I started using prime in my tapwater recently. How much of a difference does it make in a saltwater vs. a freshwater?

The problem with tap water in a saltwater aquarium is actually all the trace compounds in it become algae fertilizer. Most everyone that goes the straight tap water route ends up fighting Cyanobacteria or hair algae at some point. It's not nearly the problem for most freshwater systems.

I bought 5g jugs from Wal-mart and have 3 sitting in my room with water. Fill it with the hose and let it sit til I use it. Put prime in it and I have bubbles going in all of them to aerate it.

Mr.Pleco said:
I bought 5g jugs from Wal-mart and have 3 sitting in my room with water. Fill it with the hose and let it sit til I use it. Put prime in it and I have bubbles going in all of them to aerate it.

That's smart I'll try to do the same

Rutrag said:
The problem with tap water in a saltwater aquarium is actually all the trace compounds in it become algae fertilizer. Most everyone that goes the straight tap water route ends up fighting Cyanobacteria or hair algae at some point. It's not nearly the problem for most freshwater systems.

So what is advisable?

Back
Top Bottom