Water Change Laxative!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jessipanda

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello everyone! Just did my weekly water change on the 55g. Every week, directly after I do a water change, I sit and watch the fish for awhile to monitor their behavior. And every week, the first thing they do after the new water is added is poop! It never fails! It's not always all of them, and there's not many in there right now anyways, but most of them do this. It's hilarious but also frustrating!

Lol I don't think it's anything to worry about though, right?

I would stress or an anxiety type thing.

Sounds like when I take the dog to the vet , on more that one occasion he has left them a special present , vet referred to it as anxiety diarrhea. Could be a similar type thing.

They've all been yelling at each other to hold it and not make the water even dirtier.... like holding a fart to protect the occupants of your vehicle. When the water is finally clean they're all allowed to poop again ;)

Most mammals and birds evacuate waste to make themselves more agile or less desirable to potential predators, due to perceived stress whether or not an actual threat was present. Most likely the same for fish, I wouldn't worry

*jabs sini in the ribs

Sini's my personal bucket lugger..er, I mean husband

Lol yeah, stress/anxiety is what I was thinking. I'm still not too sure though...they're all so friendly, they surround me when I'm in the tank and play in the water while I add it. They follow anyone they see too, even the cat and dog! The holding it from dirtying the water idea might be it! Water may look crystal clear with great parameters, but I don't gravel clean since the substrate is eco com with flourite... Lol maybe that's really what they're doing! ;)

Back
Top Bottom