water change pump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tmdavies

Aquarium Advice FINatic
is there a pump that i can pump water out of a bucket into my tank when i do water changes?

my ideal pump that im trying to look for would be about 1m lenght hose pipe with a small electric pump in the middle so one end sits in my bucket and pumps water into my tank. The buckets i use arnt realy buckets there water carriers and they hold 25 litres of water and i have 4 of them, they are to heavy for me to lift higher then my tank for siphoning

how would i use that aqua clear power head to pump water from a bucket into my tank, have you got one is it any good?

That water pump would work too. I plan to just jam the hose from my gravel vac onto the intake of the powerhead (PH) and hold the unit at the water surface of my DT. The best part of the PH is you can use it for extra circulation/filtration, or in my case mixing salt for brackish water (SW too).

I'll be using it for adding water later today (first time), so I'll let you know how it works.

awesome i will try the same after i hear back from you. the thought of lifting those buckets is making my back sore lol. so if it does work i will be puting the gravel vac into my bucket then attaching the end to the power head intake and this should suck the water out of the bucket and into the tank?

just thought could i not just take the intake from my 305 and stick it in a bucket and turn my filter on or would the bucket have to be the same high

tmdavies said:
awesome i will try the same after i hear back from you. the thought of lifting those buckets is making my back sore lol. so if it does work i will be puting the gravel vac into my bucket then attaching the end to the power head intake and this should suck the water out of the bucket and into the tank?

Yep, makes sense to me anyways and the top of my big DT is almost 5 feet in the air, so there's no way I'm going to lift 42lbs of water that high lol.

Right now I use a gallon pitcher and scoop from my 5g bucket to tank and it works OK, but figured I'd get more than one use for my PH (y).

tmdavies said:
just thought could i not just take the intake from my 305 and stick it in a bucket and turn my filter on or would the bucket have to be the same high

The bucket intake would have to be at the same level as the output, so you're still lifting buckets :p.

ok i have figured both my problems out i was having trouble vacuuming my waste it goes half way up the vac then sinks back down, so i cut some hose pipe about 5 metres and use the hose pipe to vacuum my waste the other end goes out of my window and into an outside drain. this is alot more powerful and more accurate for vacuuming waste, it sucks it straight up no problem.
Second problem is what i started this thread about suck water out of the bucket and into the tank i pull a small waist high cuboard next to my tank and put my 25l jerry can on it then stick my intake hose in and turn my filter on and it sucks it straight into the tank, then i turn it off when it gets close to the bottom and swap the jerry can for a full one then keep on repeating until im done. today i changed 100 litres with minimal effort, especialy since i saved on carrying buckets when emptying the tank, when the hose emptys straight into the drain.
it was a bit tricky at first but i think next time i will have it perfect, certainly saves alot of lifting. hope this helps some body

Back
Top Bottom