water change question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KenW

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
What process do you use?
I am thinking of buying a Python no spill and clean. Anybody use these? I am tired of hauling pails!
Thanks!

i just use the conventional gravity syphon and pail. my tank is a 55gal so i, at most, do 10 trips with a 50% pwc. most of the time its a 25%, so its even less. to me its part of the hobby, so i dont mind the fun.

then again.....ive never used a python:bowl:

I use a python and they work great except when the valve leaks and sprays water all over the place. I've gone through two in a year so far.

But when you change over a 150g a week the 5g bucket gets a bit repetitive.

I love the python, it lets me very easily service my three tanks.

I do 25% PWC/Vacuum in each tank once a week.

Pythons are OK, but they are slow and waste a lot of water if you are using them to pump down. There are better ways to fill than using a python, also. My set up is such that I drain to the floor drain in the basement, and I have Tygon clear vnyl hose for filling, outfitted with a goosenck and terminated in a tee. This allows for very quick, hands free filling. I have an LCD thermometer on the outlet pipe to help adjust the temp. I use various diameter hoses depending on the size of the tank, or how fast I need to siphon.

Over 1200 pounds of water. Even if you carry it 15 feet that's a lot of exercise.

Yep, it was especially fun doing them on my 2x 50g's before I added a sink downstairs :D

Thats still 10 trips up and down with a 5g bucket :)

Pythons are OK, but they are slow and waste a lot of water if you are using them to pump down.

I turn the water off when I'm done vacuuming, then let gravity drain the tank, saves a lot of water that way.

Pythons are OK, but they are slow and waste a lot of water if you are using them to pump down.

I would agree. I throw my tygon out a window and never use the sink to vacuum. I get some pretty big weeds outside the window. :)

I drilled holes in my floor and setup plumbing to connect to a garden hose in the basement that then drains into a sump. Then I ran water lines from my RO system to each tank.

Using a siphon vacuum I clean the tanks and drain into the basement. Then slowly refill with RO. I usually pour in a little tap water (well water) to help the KH/GH.

Usually drink a beer while I watch it refill. :drinking:

We used buckets to do the 50% in my 36G on saturday, so there's no shortage of carrying but I have two lazy university student roommates who need exercise. (y) I can always bribe them with beer.. ;)

Back
Top Bottom