Water Change Questions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Choas

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok last night I did a water change. I must of done something wrong I think I lost 2 Green Reef Chromis :( and one Bulb Anemone. I am wondering. How do you know if the anemone is dead? Also How do you do your Water Changes? I did use RO and I O Salt.

Like When do you mix the salt? How long do you let the salt set before testing it? I only did a 20 percent.

Popular opinion around here seems to be mix your SW a week ahead, or when you do a water change, go ahead and mix a batch for your next one. Just keep a pump/powerhead in your container moving the water around and a heater if necessary.

To get a good read on your mixture, you should wait at least an hour before measuring your SG.

I don't know about the anemone but I've heard that they turn to mush when they die and you really want to get it out of there. If it died, there may be a chance that he fouled your water and caused the other deaths. How big is the tank? What are your current water parameters?

I just looked at your gallery to see what size tank you have. Did you just start this tank in December? If so, I think you may have gotten a little ahead of yourself by purchasing an anemone so soon. Some say wait at least 6 months, others 9 and some even say you want to wait a year...

I have a 55 gallon with wet/dry. Yes it has been set up since December. I had done water changes before but they were only like 10 percent. This time the water really sticked so I took out 20 percent. How I did it was by taken out water. Then add Ro Water Room temp. I tested my water I was at 1.016 so then I added salt slowly. You were saying to mix water and salt before so I want my 5 gallon tanks to have 1.025 before I add them? I finally got it to 1.025 now today it is like at 1.026-1.027 should I take it down? How did I do it next time better way?

You're not supposed to mix your salt water in an tank with live inhabitants. Premix your water in a separate container. Wait at least an hour and check your salinity before adding more salt. It is best to allow a few days to age/aerate the water before adding it to your tank. The water should also be the same temperature as that in your tank...

Only add distilled water to top off the water that has evaporated...

NEVER ever Mix salt water in a tank with fish, coral etc in it. that is why the fish died. Fast SG swings will kill things in the tank. The pH probably had a large swing also which is another way to kill fish.
Always mix water in a bucket or large plastic garbage can and let it mix for at least 24 hours before using it. Bring it up to the same temp as the tank and the same SG as the tank.
do some reading on the site or ask some questions if your not sure about something.

I would say maybe take it down a little but I am also new to this so im not sure.

It is not bad at that level, let the tank settle down after the water change and try not to make any other changes. Over the course of a few days you can lower the SG down to 1.025 if thats where you want it.

Back
Top Bottom