Water change

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

David Moyer

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I saw some people use purified water, and some people use distilled water. Which one is better for using for a water change or topping off.

I have a biocube 14

Thanx

I think ideally RODI is the way to go. I've been using RO water from one of those big dispensers in front of the grocery store (Glacier). Sometimes I top off with distilled that I get in the one gallon bottles inside the store.

I just got a TDS meter for $11 and have started testing everything just to see how it all compares. The distilled store-bought is 002. The machine puts out .004. I've tested a couple bottled drinking waters just for fun and forget exact numbers, but I think Dasani was .003 and Aquafina was much higher. Did tap water and refrigerator-filtered, which were both much higher too, but can't recall exact numbers.

I'm trying to keep my expenses down a little for now, maybe a rodi unit next Xmas. I guess right now, I'll just go with distilled, since I only have a biocube 14. I just need to get rid of that stupid green hair algae.

Thanx for the help.

Whats your light cycle time? Also how often do you feed? I found running high mag levels also get rid of algae.

Back
Top Bottom