Water changes a problem?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Samzter

Aquarium Advice Addict
What I don't get is when I do a water change the next morning all the fish are gasping?! I've checked my tap water and It stands at 0ppm for nitrite . Yet the tanks is at 1 ppm. But previous to the change the levels are 0. This lasts for two days after the change and I can't figure out what is going on. Any advice would be great.

Convict2161 said:
Are you stirring up debris during water changes?

Well, sort of because I'm vacuuming the sand and I give the vacuum a little swirl to start collecting up some poo.

Debris were my first thought too. Or perhaps some toxins/gases being released from the sand? I think your tanks are pretty well planted so that may be a non issue.

I'm gonna say that probably the stirring up debris and poop from the sand. Maybe do partial sand vacs? A little each time?

Or maybe you'll just have to do a larger water change after vacuuming?

I'm just shooting out ideas.

You mention checking your tap for nitrite. What are the ammonia levels in your tap? I am taking a guess here that theres a decent amount of ammonia in your tap and your seeing a nitrite spike the next day after a wc because nitrite takes a bit longer to be processed. What type of water conditioner are you using and how are you dosing it for a wc?

jlk said:
You mention checking your tap for nitrite. What are the ammonia levels in your tap? I am taking a guess here that theres a decent amount of ammonia in your tap and your seeing a nitrite spike the next day after a wc because nitrite takes a bit longer to be processed. What type of water conditioner are you using and how are you dosing it for a wc?

Its currentlystanding at 0.25 for ammonia.

Hmm... that would explain some of nitrite but I also would expect a cycled tank to process this easily. Do you have city water? How long has this tank been setup? Has this been happening since day 1 or is this a more recent development?

jlk said:
Hmm... that would explain some of nitrite but I also would expect a cycled tank to process this easily. Do you have city water? How long has this tank been setup? Has this been happening since day 1 or is this a more recent development?

I have city water, the tank has been setup for 6 months, it has only been happening in the last 3 weeks.

jetajockey said:
Do you run the filter all night? Some people have their stuff on timers, that's why I ask. Do you have co2?

What is your current stockload and tank size? What kind of filter?
The filter is on all night and I don't have co2. I have 2 filters both fluval u3 and I also a u2 but it's not in use. My stock load today is:
9 neons
8 cherry barbs
A dozen baby platies
3 baby guppies
8 panda Cories
A GBR
6 otos
8 RCS
3 amano shrimp
I've started up my own mini business and started selling some . Today I sold off my DGs and tomorrow all the guppies and platies are going. Water change schedule is twice a week about 30% per change.

Back
Top Bottom