Water changes during cycle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joebro3333

Aquarium Advice Freak
When do you actually start water changes is it before, after or during the cycling process? Please give me your input

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I say there is no reason to do any water changes during a cycle unless you are dosing pure ammonia and accidentally dose too much. Save the time/effort/money until the end when you just want to bring down your nitrates.

Thank you so much :) so if I want to start the cycle and end it fast I heard you use shrimp? Could I just wait over time? How long would shrimp take and what are steps? And how long without anything?

There is an article about cycling in our articles section.
But, get a pair of panty hose and toss a cocktail shrimp into it so it isn't a mess to clean up. Toss it into the tank with all the sand and rock in there. Wait.
Get yourself an API master test kit, the one with ph, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. You will be testing your tank for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrates. Don't worry about ph. The ammonia will go up, then go down. As the ammonia goes down the nitrites will go up. Then the nitrites will go down and the nitrates will go up. When you can't detect any ammonia or nitrites with the shrimp in there, the tank is cycled and you can add your first fish.

Do you keep a log book of your tests? And if you do can I have sample picture? :)

I say there is no reason to do any water changes during a cycle unless you are dosing pure ammonia and accidentally dose too much. Save the time/effort/money until the end when you just want to bring down your nitrates.

yeah, actually doing changes during a cycle is counterproductive unless ammonia is way out of line or something.
Patience is the hardest thing to contend with when cycling a new setup.

What do I need to test for and what should everything look like? :)

Back
Top Bottom